Jessica asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

How to clean a smelly dog collar?

My saint bernards dog collar reeks! I have tried running it through the wash but the smell is still there. Anyone have any tips?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Depends on the material. If it's nylon/seatbelt material soak it in disinfectant and throw it in the washing machine at 30/40 degrees. Leather can be either dipped into white vinegar or cleaned with an enzyme cleaner (for cleaning up after dogs) from the pet shop.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Put some rice (uncooked) in a DRY container with a 1/8 cup of baking soda and 1/8 cup of OxyClean. Bury the collar in it and cover for 24-36 hours.

The collar should be odour free when you take it out. The baking soda will pull out the odours and the OxyClean will obliterate them.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Try soaking it in a pre-wash solution for 1/2 hour and then adding a little bleach to the cycle. If its still not clean, then just toss it and buy another collar.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Collars need to soak is really hot water for a half hour, with strong soap, oxy cleean or detergent, then rinsed, repeat if necessary

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

If you have to buy a new dog collar, next time get a neoprene one such as the EzyDog, it won't rot or smell as the neoprene is both waterproof and rot proof which is great for dogs who get wet regularly.

• 5 years ago

LaunderLeash is a porous, padded bag designed to sanitize your dog s collar and leash in your washer/dryer. It will eliminate the need to replace your soiled collar/leash, prevent damage to your washer/dryer and other items in the load and silence the annoying clanging noise from the swivel bolt, buckles and tags. www.launderleash.com

• 9 years ago

Scrub it with a scrub brush and some detergent and baking soda. Rinse thoroughly,then let it dry and spray it with Febreze. Let dry before putting it back on the dog

• 9 years ago

This is going to sound so weird, but I scrub mine with ground cinnamon and lemon juice. Then rinse and leave to dry naturally.

Gets out all the dirt, and it smells like heaven.

• 9 years ago

try soaking it in vinegar or rubbing detergent over it first. the vinegar smell will wash out after a few washes.

Source(s): I have dogs,
  • john
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

buy a new one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.