Is it bad that my son hasn't been sick yet?

My son is 6 months old and he hasn't gotten sick yet. Of course, as soon as I type this question he'll probably fall sick, right? lol. Anyway...

He gets his vaccinations (he's actually getting his 6 month's today), he eats formula and pureed baby food, and he's constantly around our dogs and cats (of course, they're all indoor animals). He even had open heart surgery at 3 months and (thankfully) never got sick from that. I'm always seeing questions on here about "ear infection" this and "my baby is throwing up" that. It's not that I WANT my son to be sick, I'm just wondering if it's a bad sign that he hasn't gotten sick yet. Because when you get sick you build up immunities to whatever you had.

What do you think?

Favorite Answer

Nope, not bad at all. Since he's an only child, he's not exposed to everything that he will be once he's in daycare or school (or once you start taking him to more activities that involve groups of children).

My oldest got her first cold at 7 months, and it wasn't that bad -- just a runny nose and watery eyes. I didn't even take her to the doctor for it. She's 7 now and has only had 2 ear infections and maybe 3-4 stomach viruses. She's really a pretty healthy kid, and I think part of it is that she just has a strong immune system.

Just be glad you're not having to deal with a sick baby because that's miserable.

• asrai

My daughter gets a cold or two every year, but has never had an ear infection, had a stomach flu twice and that's it at 8 years old. My 10 month old has had one cold- yay nursing.

Are you nursing? Because he'll get immunity from that.

No it's never bad if a child doesn't get sick

He's only 6 months old & he's already gone through open heart surgery which is enough to say he has been "sick". It's not a bad thing when your child hasn't caught a virus or cold he will soon enough.

• Bonini

I don't think it's a bad thing...although it is a rare thing that he hasn't so much as had a cold. You don't just build up immunities by being sick. Exposure even in small doses (whihc everyone is guaranteed to get) and the vaccinations are helping buidl up his immunities as well.

• Anna Z

No worries. My son was 1 year old before he caught his first cold. Now that hes 2, colds are a given.

some get it all done and over with in their early ages, others wait until they start school, kids that are out alot or are in day care or have a sibling in school or day care or more likely to be exposed earlier on, if he is an only child and you dont take him to alot of play groups or any where public to play alot then chances are he'll be not exposed until school time, while it'll suck then, generally kids recover faster then babies, best wishes

• I think it's more normal than not. He's got plenty of time to build immunities :) I think, given his start, that sometimes God grants us His grace when we need it the most. you know?

hopefully he stays a healthy little guy!

Source(s): mom of 2
  • Miki

why would it be bad?

anyway technically your son was sick, he had a heart problem. im glad he is doing great.