How rare is it to be childless @ 30 years old?

Most people are shocked when they find out I'm without kids.

• Merry
    Favorite Answer

At 30 I had pretty much put the idea of kids on the back burner (I was enjoying life and loved the life I was living ~ kids didn't seem like part of the deal!)

BUT ... at 33 (surprise!) ~ baby no 1 ... I now have 3 kids and LOVE every minute of it, far more then I ever thought I would...I think that living my life and enjoying my 20's and early 30's meant that by the time I did have kids that I was happy and content to change my priorities.

Had someone told me at 30 that I would be a mother of 3 I would have laughed at them ... just goes to show you never know what's around the corner.... live life for the now (it's called the "present" for a reason!)

Source(s): Mum at 33

I know more people at 30 without kids than with kids. I have no idea why people you know are shocked by that. It is very common not to have kids by 30.

It's not rare any more! My daughter had her first child a month before her 36th birthday! She chose to work on her career and get financially stable so she could be a stay at home mom once she had children.

I had my children when I was 23 and 24......that's what people did then. It worked for my generation but the world was a very different place then.

Its not rare at all, the trend here in Ireland where I live is for first-time mothers to get older.

My first was born 2 months before my 31st birthday, I had 2 more children later. Most of my friends were around 30 when their first was born too.

• ?

I don't know the circles you're moving in, but the people around me wouldn't think all that much about it one way or another.

There are some sub-cultures, that's not a bad term by the way - it just refers to a smaller group within a larger society that has it own way of doing things - there are some sub-cultures where females feel the need to prove they are truly a woman by having a child. Perhaps you are at least on the fringes of such a group. ???

• ?

These days it's becoming more and more common. Our mothers and grandmothers would have been classified as spinsters or "old maids" if the were single and childless by 30.

Source(s): 32, childless and loving it!

Its more common now more than ever because people goals are different these days they want to to to school and be success full and established before having kids others dont want them at all.these days its perfectly fine to not have kids or wait until mid 30s to have them.

It is not rare but very sensible! My sister whom now has 3 children didn't have her 1st till she was 32yr because waited till she was ready and enjoy her life and able to support a child both mentally and had the finances needed too.

• orla

Not rare at all, may depend on what part of the world you are.

its really common.. u can find so many unmarried at 30+