Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

Is it because she Latina they takes away her title Domonique Ramirez performed wonderfully as Miss San Antonio?

Domonique Ramirez performed wonderfully as Miss San Antonio before she was stripped of her tiara, says the former director of the organization that runs the pageant that crowned her last year.

A fashion producer the beauty queen worked with agreed, stepping into the furor between Ramirez and the pageant's board.

And on Tuesday, Ramirez, 17, fired back at allegations that the Miss Bexar County Organization Inc. say resulted in her being dethroned before her reign ends in July.

The group has accused her of insubordination, being late or not showing up to functions, for claiming to be married, and other violations of her contract. But board president Linda Woods, who on Monday pointed out that Ramirez, who says she is 5'8'' and 129 lbs., also had been instructed to lose weight to prepare for the Miss Texas competition in July, clarified Tuesday that it was not a reason Ramirez was booted.

Not so, said Ramirez's mother, Lorena Briseño. Weight was a big part of the criticism from new executive director Caroline Flores, who took over in mid-November, Briseño said.

She and Flores also had a fight over Ramirez's appearance at a bridal show Jan. 30, which she believes spurred the organization to yank the title and give it to first runner-up Ashley Dixon, 21.

Ramirez sued the MCBO on Monday, and obtained a court order barring the organization from promoting Dixon as Miss San Antonio pending a hearing Feb. 16. Despite the order, the organization sent out a news release Monday doing just that, and didn't remove Dixon from its Web site until Tuesday.

Ramirez did some clarifying of her own: the spat is not a racial issue. Her lawyer, Luis Vera, the national general counsel for the League of United Latin American Citizens, said Tuesday that LULAC is not involved in the matter but he forgot to remove his LULAC title from earlier emails to reporters.

Ramirez said she competed “for scholarship and education,” winning $2,000 per semester to attend college. She added that she has nothing against Dixon and complimented her. She said she sued “so no other girl has to be put through this.”

On KTSA radio Tuesday, Woods said Ramirez's weight “has nothing to do with why she is not Miss San Antonio anymore, by any means.” Woods said she'd advised Ramirez at a photo shoot to change her eating habits in preparation for Miss Texas.

“I said, you know, ‘Get off the tacos, get off the chips and the soda.' Because she's 17, and that's what these kids eat.”

Interviewed about the comments later, Woods said it had been Ramirez who said she needed to lay off junk food. Woods said her organization is concerned about contestants' health and improving chances at higher pageant levels.

Ramirez said she's a size 2, has gotten a personal trainer and has done “everything that has been asked of me,” including telling her boyfriend not to accompany her to Miss San Antonio-related appearances after the organization admonished her about showing up holding hands with him.

“I am not married,” she said. “I have never been engaged.”

“I have shown up to every single event they have scheduled for me during my reign,” she said. “I have been five or 10 minutes late to some, but only because I didn't have a chaperone, which they did promise me.” She said the functions the board claims she didn't show for, “they made up.”

Glynda Coyle, who resigned in November as executive director of the MBCO, confirmed the chaperone stipulation.

“That was in the contract, and that's actually a Miss America rule that she needs a chaperone at all times,” Coyle said. “It can be her mother or it can be the family as long as the board agrees to it and the mom also is OK with it.”

“For me she did a very good job,” Coyle said. “I took her to several different functions and she did a wonderful job for me.”

About a week before Coyle left, Ramirez was brought in for a counseling session, but Coyle noted it was more as part of the learning process for the next pageant.

“It was an accumulation of some things that had happened, being late, about four items to the best of my memory,” Coyle said. “It was nothing any different from the types of counseling we've done for other contestants.”

While her weight was not an issue, “we did tell her ... it would be wise for her to lose an inch in her hips” to improve her chances at the Miss Texas competition.

Lari Nelson, who produces fashion shows as Nelson Fashion Group, also vouched for Ramirez and said she saw no problems with Ramirez's weight.

Nelson said that in January, she asked Flores for permission to introduce Ramirez at a bridal show as Miss San Antonio. Nelson said Flores gave Ramirez a choice — she could either be in the show as a model, or be introduced at the beginning as Miss San Antonio, but not both. Ramirez chose to model clothes.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Emba

Best Answer

You have to wonder if that was part of the problem when somebody says something like "I said, you know, ‘Get off the tacos," then tries to cover their tracks by saying "thats what kids eat." Why was tacos the first food mentioned. Why not pizza or chips and soda? Would they have said someone who is not Latina she should get off the tacos?

Then they are telling her “we did tell her ... it would be wise for her to lose an inch in her hips” Latinas are CURVY not stick figures.

I don't know but you might have a point Mr Raza.

You know why she said ‘Get off the tacos...' because she's in San Antonio and guess what there is a lot of here... TACOS!!! Guess what there's a lot of kids who go to Taco Cabana after a High School sporting event, and well she was a part of the volleyball team so I'm sure that included her. There's nothing racist about this. Just a bunch of lame excuses. Let me put it this way. If you're not willing to put the work in then don't compete in the first place. If this is what you truly wanted then there is no reason they couldn't do exactly what was expected of them to do. Don't have a ride take the damn VIA bus, walk, or do whatever you need to to make it on time. With in reason of course, but saying "I'm so-n-so and I shouldn't have to ride the bus for no one" isn't going to fly. Maybe you're right maybe you shouldn't have to ride the bus but if you're suppose to set an example for kids then why don't you show them no matter who you are you're not going to let someone else use you as an scapegoat or their pawn. Of course nobody except for the people who are involved truly knows what happened. But this is not racially motivated.

Miss San Antonio Goes to Court to Keep Crown

Beauty Queen Domonique Ramirez, 17, Says She Was Unfairly Dethroned

Ramirez took the Miss Bexar County Organization to court Tuesday, claiming in a lawsuit that she had been unfairly stripped of her title.

The board says she violated the terms of her contract, did not attend required events, showed up late to appearances and gained weight.

Woods accused Ramirez of skipping pageant-sanctioned events to attend unauthorized paid appearances.

In the media, Woods has suggested one of the reasons Ramirez lost her title was because she had gained weight.

Ramirez's lawyer, Luis Vera of the League of United Latin American Citizens, called the pageant's reasons for axing the teenager "lies."

"It's just total lies. They make things up one after another," Vera said.

The lawyer said the board violated the terms of its contract and is punishing Ramirez for their errors.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/miss-san-anton...

No racism found in da story above!!!!!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/articl...

No racism in yer story golly gee Raza did ya not read past da first five words of da story??? THE SPAT IS NOT A RACIAL ISSUE

Try coping da address link instead of using da auto copying link of http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Embatt...

A Latina fires another Latina for being late to work, and that's supposed to be discrimination against Latinas? Puh-leeze! Somebody needs a brain.