Mock Trial Help? Involves Laws that punish speech, e.g. Criminal Syndicalism Act?

For a school project, I'm a prosecuting lawyer who has to provide an argument for punishing a person for his crime ("Richard Smith").

Case:

One Evening in March of 1950, Richard Smith, a student at Penn State University, was addressing an open-air meeting on a street corner in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Smith spoke to a mixed race crowd of about 75 people. He denounced various national and local officials and reportedly sought to "arouse the people and urge them to rise up in arms and fight for equal rights for the black." Two policemen, who had been watching from across the street, stepped in to urge people out of the path of traffic and back onto the sidewalk. After a while, the crowd became restless and unruly, and the officers believed that a fight was imminent. Some people in the crowd made comments to the officers about their inability to handle the crowd. At least one person threatened violence if the police didn't act. Several times over the next few minutes the police demanded that Smith cease speaking. Smith ignored them. Finally, the police arrested Smith, charging him with disorderly conduct. He was later convicted by a local court. Two Pennsylvania Appellate courts later upheld Smith's conviction, after which Smith took his case to the US Supreme Court.

I've already done some research and have made references to the Whitney v.California case and Gitlow v.New York case, but I would like to be informed of any similar cases/situations that can help bolster my argument.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • J P
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You might look at Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • foran
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

OH please recover from your self. the final factor the Republicans decide for to do is see investigations into what passed off under Bush. no longer to point open themselves as much as criminal prosecution. What all of us is indignant approximately at congress is they are in a position to't get prepared sufficient to throw Bush out. Or conquer Bush's twelve vetoes in a three hundred and sixty 5 days and a a million/2. while he had none for the six years his party controlled each and every little thing. the solid factor is that on an identical time as you're able to tell your self this tale to get you to sleep at evening, something of the yankee people be conscious of greater suitable, and, with twenty-9 Republicans retiring incredibly than face the music, that's going to be a on an identical time as till now Republicans are decrease back interior the drivers seat. in certainty, if the Democrats ever get their act mutually, it must be an extremely, very, long term.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.