Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why did Chris Matthews Says The Panama Canal Is In EGYPT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBuimVYyHdE

Youtube thumbnail

Chris Matthews Says The Panama Canal Is In EGYPT

How could anybody trust a person who makes a mistake like that?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As much as I do not care for Matthews, good grief it was a slip of the tongue, between the Panama Canal and the Suez Canal the Panama Canal gets much more publicity and is much better known in the US and I could see when thinking of Canals, Panama popping into a person's head.

It is rather funny though the left defending him when they relentlessly attacked Palin for her reference to North Korea instead of South Korea.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Without watching the video, because I don't really care, I presume he meant the Suez Canal, but accidentally used the name of the most famous canal in America, the Panama Canal. (Not that it's located in the USA, just that within the USA, where Chris Matthews lives, it's very famous. That should be obvious to most, but you seem like a stickler for precision.) It's a pretty common error in speech. Not a big deal, really.

EDIT: @warren, I was also annoyed at people attacking Sarah Palin for the North Korea thing, but not too many people really went after her as anything more than a joke. It was funny and belonged on comedy shows like the Daily Show and Colbert Report. It didn't belong on the news and wasn't really a big deal. There's plenty of reason to criticize both Sarah Palin and Chris Matthews. Resorting to these silly things just misses the real substantive points, as I imagine you agree.

• 4 years ago

It became right into a slip of the tongue. He of course meant to declare the Suez Canal. I observe that no person has even stated the Suez. call-calling in straightforward terms illustrates your loss of sparkling ideas.

• Alex
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It's called a verbal gaffe. Similar to the 57 states thing that conservatives can't stop talking about or the North Korea is our ally that democrats seem obsessed with. At the end of the day, they are little slips that mean absolutely nothing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

For the same reason Sarah Palin thinks the US is allied with North Korea: a perfectly understandable slip-of-the-tongue.

• John
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It's Chris Matthews, enough said.

• The poor guy had something(someone) tingling up his leg at the time.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Typical American geography knowledge, honestly.

• rz1971
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

He suffers from a problem that a lot of American's suffer from, liberal education.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

because his master and head tinglier says there are 57 states!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.