Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Confusing name for a dog?

We just adopted a dog and I want to name him Nova but my husband says that because it sounds like "No" that it would be confusing for him. Professional opinions *only*, please!!

• Myra
    Favorite Answer

Most prof. trainers will tell you when correcting your dog you do not say No Nova, you only say NO.

Dogs respond much more to tone, inflection and their owners body posture than actual syllables. If you need to get your dog's attention you can simply use his name and Nova is fine.

I'm assuming that your husband thinks using the word "no" is an important training tool. The best way to train a dog is with rewards based training where you reinforce the right behavior with either a tasty treat or well timed praise. Look into clicker training for your dog. It's based on how they learn best.

That being said, there are times when you need to get your dogs attention and a simple change in inflection and tone can easily accomplish that. There are many ways to say Nova and your dog will soon learn many of them. There is no reason to be going around yelling "no" all the time.

Nova is a cool word, but I wouldn't use it for a dog, I think he would be confused. Are you looking for astronomy type words? Go to library children's section, lots of books on space, astronomy, I'm sure you'll find a name that has a good ring to it.

P.S. The car Nova by Chevy didn't sell well in spanish-speaking countries, because the words "no va" means "it doesn't go".

If you want to call your dog Nova then I would suggest you use a different comand such a 'stop' or 'leave' instead of 'no' so that he doesn't get confused.

substitute the call in case you prefer. It won't confuse him. We did the comparable ingredient as quickly as we observed my canines (she became approximately six months) and my dad desperate that he did no longer wanna call her "Princess" so we merely began calling her the call we would have liked. do merely no longer bypass back and forth. stop utilising the call "Quaker" and don't attempt and take a inspect your canines with the aid of calling it Cupcake and then calling out Quaker just to verify if he will nevertheless respond to that. Be consistent.

"No-va" might confuse him a little.

In sled dogs, you have to name your dogs carefully because of the commands. ("hike, gee, haw, break-and-hook") Because calling for "LEE, to HAW" will confuse the hell out of him. Or telling "NA-NOOK," which might sound like "break-and-hook", to "GEE or HAW" might make the dogs stop instead of turn.

I wouldn't name him "NO-VA", because he might think he did something bad if you stress the first part of his name a little too much. It's hard to say. It would probably be like saying "NO, va!" to him.

I don't think it is, but just in case, instead of scolding him with a 'No' give him a quick, sharp 'EH!'. That way he will not get it confused.

• how about

Gavreel - it means angel of peace

Hadraniel - angel of love

or

Nisroc - it means angel of freedom

:)

Source(s): me :)

possible but i wouldn't think so