Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Your favourite novels/books?

Hi I'm looking to spread my reading interests a bit and just wondered what peoples favourite books are. I'm looking mainly for older ones like classics but I welcome any suggestions.

I'm a bit of a literature noob to be honest. I read 1984 and absolutely loved it. I then started reading a book by H. G. Wells but gave up half-way through it and am now reading a series by Lee Child about an ex-Army guy.

This question comes up because I was with a few friends the other day and they were talking about their favourite novels, novelists and their favourite Shakespeare plays and I just had no idea whatsoever.

Best Answer

Some of my favorites:

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson

The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells

The Time Machine - H.G. Wells

Heidi, Heidi Grows Up, Heidi's Children - Johanna Spyris

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Caroll

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery (there are 6 books)

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin

Lorna Doone - Richard Doddridge Blackmore

The Crucible - Arthur Miller

Shakespeare -

Macbeth

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The Merchants of Venice

I hope that helps. If you don't like reading the classics but still want to keep up with some of your friends' conversations it might help to have a look at somewhere like Sparknotes where you can read a summary.

• A User

My favourite is The Illiad by Homer. 1984 by Orwell comes a close second, actually only just lost the battle for first place in my heart.

I am completely in love with the Illiad. It's all the more compelling when you realise just how old it is and yet how advanced. The Illiad pretty much sets what literature is going to look like for the next millennia. It already has the principles of classical tragedy in it. The characterization is fantastic (EV Rieu's argument for a single author for the Illiad (at the exception of one of the books which may have been added later, an episode where Odysseus and Diomedes steal Rhesus' horses) which I find absolutely convincing). And the story is amazing. Unfortunately I cannot enjoy the poetry in original language, but I love EV Rieu's translation. It flows beautifully. In the introduction of the Penguin edition, EV Rieu says he used to prefer the Odyssey and was not entirely enthusiastic when the time came to translate the Illiad, but that after finishing it, he felt the Illiad was the greater work (I loved it when I read that, I was never a big fan of the Odyssey). He says the Illiad will make you care more about the death of a single horse in battle than the Odyssey will make you care about the entire massacre of the suitors. It makes me think of the beautiful passage where Achilles' horses weep for Patroclus' death and Zeus pities them and make an oath they will not be captured by Hector. I love the heroics. Never will you see heroes like Diomedes, Achilles or Hector again in literature. I love the subtle romance. Andromache and Hector of course, but even more subtle, Achilles lamenting the loss of Briseis "Are they the only men who love their wives, these sons of Atreus?" or that of Patroclus (still debating whether I think they were lovers as well as brothers in arms, I can't find any mention of that in the text, so right now I'm thinking not, but the bond between them is one of the most powerful love bonds in the epic). And what's more compelling than the famous anger of Achilles? I've never read anything quite like it by any other author.

Anything by Kundera, particularly The Book of Laughter and Forgetting or The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I like fantasy and am a big fan of Micheal Moorcock's work I recommend him highly though he has been widely copied by lesser authors. Anything by Roger Zelazny. All these are contemporary.

For older stuff, Candide is a must. Thus Spake Zarathustra, The Republic, La Morte D'Arthur, The Thousand Nights and a Night, Walden, the works of Poe and Hawthorn, I could go on and on.

Let me add that the list Perseus has given you are all great too ( though I can't speak for Narnia or The Lovely Bones, I havn't read those two,) I second his recommendation and ad that if you like the Tale of Sigurd and Gudrun you read the source material, either the Volsunga Saga or the Nibilungilied ( not sure if that is spelled right). A similar epic is The Song of Roland.

I hope this helps.

Lord of the Rings

Tristan and Isolde

The Lovely Bones

Oliver Twist

Moby-Dick

Pride and Prejudice

Hamlet

Madame Bovary

Gullivers Travels

Sherlock Holmes

The Hobbit

The Chronicles of Narnia

Legend Of Sigurd And Gudrun

The Children of Hurin

The Sillmarillion

The Book of Lost Tales

Source(s): I absolutely adore old books, my favorite author is J.R.R. Tolkien. What are your favorites ?

i could ought to smash it down by potential of want. Classics: Goethe's Faust modern: odd Thomas Sci-Fi: The Ender series fantasy: it rather is a no longer common one. I examine an embarrassing quantity of fantasy. probable Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Westerns: Who can appropriate Louis L`Amour's stuff (they're all the comparable tale. in basic terms informed in a diverse way and correctly) Horror: Stephen King's The Stand Jeepers! i'm leaving too many out. Time to offer up.

Call of the Wild - Jack London is a fantastic book. It's a classic...a fantastic classic. In all seriousness, I can't remember when it was published but it's old and I love it.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Candy by Mian Mian, and Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre

Probably 'A Time To Kill' by John Grisham.

I've read a lot of his books and i think this was perhaps his best

Anything by J.R.R Tolkien :D

I also like Thomas Harris' books. Hannibal is such a good character haha!

my favorite novelist is Pari jate.