?
Lv 5

Why do creationists come crawling back to evolution when they need medicine?

"Evolutionary biology is central to the development of vaccines, drug development, the biotechnology industry and methods for tracking infectious diseases"

SOURCES:

Stern AM, Markel H (2005). "The history of vaccines and immunization: familiar patterns, new challenges". Health Aff 24 (3).

Dunn PM (January 1996). "Dr Edward Jenner (1749-1823) of Berkeley, and vaccination against smallpox". Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed.

Van Sant JE (2008). "The Vaccinators: Smallpox, Medical Knowledge, and the 'Opening' of Japan". J Hist Med Allied Sci.

Dudgeon JA (1963). "Development of smallpox vaccine in England in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries"

Kim W, Liau LM (2010). "Dendritic cell vaccines for brain tumors". Neurosurg Clin N Am 21.

Meri, S; Jördens, M; Jarva, H (December 2008). "Microbial complement inhibitors as vaccines.".

"Questions and answers on monovalent oral polio vaccine type 1 (mOPV1) “Issued jointly by WHO and UNICEF”".

Sutter RW, Cochi SL, Melnick JL (1999). "Live attenuated polio vaccines". In Plotkin SA, Orenstein WA (eds.). Vaccines. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders. pp. 364–408.

Kanesa-thasan N, Sun W, Kim-Ahn G, et al. (2001). "Safety and immunogenicity of attenuated dengue virus vaccines (Aventis Pasteur) in human volunteers".

Grammatikos, Alexandros P.; Mantadakis, Elpis; Falagas, Matthew E. (June 2009). "Meta-analyses on Pediatric Infections and Vaccines". Infectious Disease Clinics of North America

"Adapting Vaccines For Our Aging Immune Systems".

Orenstein WA, Papania MJ, Wharton ME (2004). "Measles elimination in the United States". J Infect Dis 189

"Measles--United States, January 1-April 25, 2008". MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly.

Wolfe R, Sharp L (2002). "Anti-vaccinationists past and present".

Bonhoeffer J, Heininger U (2007). "Adverse events following immunization: perception and evidence". Curr Opin Infect Dis 20 (3): 237–46.

Demicheli V, Jefferson T, Rivetti A, Price D (2005). "Vaccines for measles, mumps and rubella in children". Cochrane Database Syst Rev 19 (4):

Halvorsen R (2007). The Truth about Vaccines. Gibson Square.

Sinal SH, Cabinum-Foeller E, Socolar R (2008). "Religion and medical neglect". South Med

Vaccine Refusal, Mandatory Immunization, and the Risks of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases by Saad B. Omer, M.B., B.S., Ph.D., M.P.H., Daniel A. Salmon, Ph.D., M.P.H., Walter A. Orenstein, M.D., M. Patricia deHart, Sc.D., and Neal Halsey, M.D. in the New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 360:1981-1988, May 7, 2009. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/360/19/19...

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/Jenny_McCart...

Goodman, Jesse L. (2005-05-04). "Statement of Jesse L. Goodman, M.D., M.P.H. Director, Center for Biologics, Evaluation and Research Before the Committee on Energy and Commerce United States House of Representatives"

Olesen OF, Lonnroth A, Mulligan B (2009). "Human vaccine research in the European Union". Vaccine 27

Ihara, Toshiaki (May 2009). "The strategy for prevention of measles and rubella prevalence with measles–rubella (MR) vaccine in Japan".

Hardman Reis T (2006). "The role of intellectual property in the global challenge for immunization". J World Intellect.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Matt
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because they are hypocrites. They think evolution is "evil," yet they have no problem reaping the benefits of the so-called "evil" science. They will of course not go to hell even though they benefit from "evil," since they go to church every Sunday. Scientists who develop medications that save countless lives, however, will burn in hell for eternity according to religious folks, since scientists choose to be productive members of society rather than worshiping a god who discourages belief in life-saving science.

Edit:

@Angie, my answer was in reference to creationists who believe that evolution is untrue/immoral, not to people who accept evolution but think it was started/guided by a god.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Angie
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

i dont feel like reading all of this. you mean people who believe that one day humans just popped on the earth one day? i dont believe that. of course evolution happened, the question is, how? where exactly did we come from? someone must have tipped the first domino. at least thats what i think.

matt...this is not the eighteenth century. i know a few traditional and extremist christians who think this...but only very few.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You mean scientists like Banting and Best? Wow, That's a lot of quotes! Thankfully I don't have to go through one of them to tell you without a shade of doubt that whether or not a person believes in evolution or not has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to rinse test tubes and that is where its at in research.

Source(s): I have probably been promoting evolutionary thought longer then you have been alive and your question is a real deterrant to positive conclusions. STOP PROMOTING JUNK SCIENCE. .
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You'll find there is a high level of hypocrisy among science denialists in general.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

One day, the hand that feeds them will get tired of being bitten.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Matbe they'll pass on medicine now?

• Neil
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Did not God create the people and substances used in medicine? Render to God what belongs to God.

Edit:I do not crawl, I drive to the pharmacy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.