Great Survival Knife?

Hey, looking to buy a survival knife, it should be 5"-7" should have a partially serrated edge, should not exceed $100. I am looking for both one that folds and one that doesn't

• r
    Favorite Answer

There are a few brands that make quality knives and that quality extends through all their products. These manufacturers are: Ka-Bar (my favorite, so you're aware of my bias towards them), Gerber, Cold Steel, SOG. Virtually any knife that fits your specs, fixed blade or folding from these companies will serve you well and will not disappoint.

Gerber makes the LMF II knife that is specifically designed for survival and has some unique features to address a survivalist's needs. They currently run about $80.00. Remember to consider sheath design in your purchase as a good sheath will securely keep your blade where you need it. The Gerber prodigy is a cheaper version of a survival knife. The steel is not the same quality, but I'm sure the overall construction is adequate.

The SOG Seal Pup fit your list specs. It is hailed as a great knife for survival applications. It is designed after the knife SOG makes for the Navy Seals and is simply a smaller version of that knife. I think I saw it in Dick's Sporting goods for about $55.00.

Cold Steel makes the SRK knife. Their website has some pretty entertaining demonstration videos totally worth checking out. If you want a knife that can cut through a pig, shop at Cold Steel. The knife is listed as over $100.00 on the company website, but the makers always list their prices higher so they don't compete with the dealers selling the knives. I'm sure you can find it cheaper online.

Now my favorite, Ka-Bar. My first fixed blade knife I started carrying in the bush was my Grand Dads WWII Kabar. 65 years after it was first issued to him, it is still in great condition. (I no longer carry it because I looked online and saw that vintage Ka-Bars in that condition are worth too much to be splitting wood with. So I went out and got a new one, with the partial serrations for about $52.00. It is the same quality as the original. I got the new Kydex sheath for it as well. A good, secure sheath that will outlast me. I prefer the Kabar over the above knives because of the steel used (1095 high-carbon). This steel allows me to get the blade to literally shaving sharpness while in the field using no more than the back of my belt. The above knives all use various grades of Stainless. While a good steel, it is harder to sharpen in the field. The Gerber LMF knife addresses this by incorporating a sharpener right into the sheath (one of several practical gimmicks on that knife). Kabar makes a smaller version of their classic USMC knife that should fit your needs (5" blade, I believe).

Any of the above knives should work for you without breaking the bank. As for a folder, go with one from any of the above makers. As a previous poster noted, the Leatherman can be an invaluable tool out in the world.

If you have anymore questions, edit your original post, and I'll check back.

Oh, BTW, generally avoid any hollow handled survival knives as they are often (99% of the time) too weak where the blade hits the hollow handle. The tang (the part of the blade that forms the core of the handle) should extend through the handle to provide a solid knife. These hollow handled knives don't allow for that. There are two exceptions I can think of, one was an East German military knife that is a very expensive collectable now and the other may be made by cold steel, I can't remember, but the handle was made of the same piece of steel as the blade so there was no joining that could break. Overall, avoid the knives like Rambo carried in the first few movies. They may carry extra gear, but you'll have a broken knife on your hands.

Source(s): Here's some links to sites for thos knives (remember, prices on the manufacturers' pages are always higher than retail pricing: https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?pro... http://www.coldsteel.com/srk.html http://sogknives.com/store/M37.html http://www.sonomacutlery.com/store/product.php?pro...
  • BOBBER

Look at the leatherman wave(multitool) I have had one for years. I use it camping hunting and fishing as well as everyday use.

Gerber or KaBar.Or Buck.

Source(s): I own 1 of each.