promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What does the quote “Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters.” Mean ?

~ Victor Hugo

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Denys
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have obstacles, difficulties, hurdles that you have to overcome, you become a "man" (or more politically correct today, you become a fully-developed person). If you get too much stuff handed to you without working for it, you'll become lazy, mean-spirited and won't know "...the value of a dollar."

Typically, a famous person who comes up from nowhere to be a wealthy industrialist or a movie star is a real human... and the offspring of that person often become spoiled brats. Not always, but often.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Break it down, adversity means unfortunate event; calamity, bad news basically. And prosperity means successful condition, usually relating to being financially prosperous. For these reasons I think that the quote means when humans go through the lows in their lives that is what makes them stronger and it makes us who we are. Because our experiences and mistakes teach us lessons that help us grow and eventually prosper, without the bad we wouldn't learn or appreciate the good. And when humans began to climb up financially or socially whatever way that gets to their heads and it makes them monsters! They lose sense of everything and become greedy and step on everyone else to get more and reach higher. Too much of anything is bad.

I hope this was able to help.

Source(s): Me =)
  • 9 years ago

Maybe it means that going through adverse problems in life can add onto a man's experiences, thus making him more knowledgable in how to handle life situations, etc. And properity makes monsters... I guess it ties in with the saying "Money is the root of all evil." The more financially successful you become, the more you'll crave and desire success and money, thus making monsters.

• Grace
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Gretchen: Mam do you carry this in the next size up? Lady: Sorry we only carry sizes 1, 3 and 5. You could try sears Damien: 4 for you Glen Coco, You go Glen Coco. Ms Nobury: I'm a Pusher Guy: Hey Janice, What's your wig made of? Janice: Your Mum's chest hair

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.