How long does the naturalization process take to become a United States citizen in Michigan?

My cousin will be applying for naturalization Mid-march as in Mid-June he would've been a permanent resider for 5 years, and legally your allowed to apply 3 month prior to the 5 years. He's wondering how long the process will take once applying to become a citizen (i.e. once sending out the N-400 form).... show more My cousin will be applying for naturalization Mid-march as in Mid-June he would've been a permanent resider for 5 years, and legally your allowed to apply 3 month prior to the 5 years.

He's wondering how long the process will take once applying to become a citizen (i.e. once sending out the N-400 form). We've searched online and we get different time frames as it is different from one state to another depending on how "busy" it is. Anyone who has been in Michigan and applied for a naturalization to enlighten him on the time frame that it would take roughly. Also, he resides in the Detroit area.

Lastly, is he allowed to travel outside the US during the process?
5 answers 5