Should I move to Portland, OR or Austin, TX?

I've heard that Portland hipsters are jerks and wanabe's. And I heard that Austin just has fun laid back people that are really nice, and enjoy dressing like however they feel for fun.

I've read that Portland's nature is a paradise, but Austin doesn't have much nature around it and isn't much apart of the city like how it is in Portland, is that true? And does Austin have good land for outdoor activities? I know Portland does, and I really love that.

Austin is sunny and hot, and Portland is rainy and cloudy. Is Austin annoyingly hot, or is it mostly awesome? And is Portland's weather depressing?

I want to start a photo business either place, not too sure which would be best for that. Also I love nightlife and to go out dancing at high energy clubs with sick djs that play all of electro's and indie's new stuff that really gets the club rocking perhaps like nyc, not sure which has that. Help!

Favorite Answer

Portland. Austin had 60 days of 106 degrees one summer, and the bugs and humidity that go with it. Summer lasts from May to October, And the night temps don't drop below 80 degrees for a couple of months. Very expensive, and bad traffic. Austin's something of a political oasis, but remember this IS Texas, and you will find plenty of rednecks here. It's also the allergy capital of the world. No mountains. We have some good lakes and good water in general.The beaches are full of tar, you know. Thanks, BP.

I can't speak for Portland, but Austin is generally unassuming and laid back. The exception is traffic, and people turn into b@stards on the road.

There's a decent amount of outdoor space in Austin. It's not pure forest or anything, but there are plenty of attractions within city limits; even more within a short distance. West and southwest is the Hill Country, which is gorgeous. East is a prairie-type area. South has a lot of interesting deciduous forests and caves. Weather is erratic. Summer CAN get hellishly hot; but winters are rarely a problem. This is the first year I can recall that had more than 20hrs of solid freezing temps. Allergies are an issue, too. If you don't have them now, you will after a stint here.

Plenty of nightlife here, too, and with a decent array. Some latin-influenced clubs, some gay ones, some generic young-people ones; shisha bars, quiet taverns, bar & grill spots, concert halls, etc.

I live in Austin,TX. I had lived in Portland,OR before I came here. So, I know both cities. They are too different.

If you don't mind a lot of rain, Portland is a paradise. It's true. People are nice, and it has everything. I miss Portland!!

Austin is hot, and unfortunately it is ANNOYINGLY hot.( Winter is cold enough though...)

If you are a outgoing person, and you love music, I think Austin is ok. There are many people who love Austin.

• Austin is perfect for outdoor activities! There is lake austin, where you can camp and boat. I've been boating there more than once, and it's great! Austin also has beautiful hills that are perfect for hiking. People are extremely laid back and friendly, and since it's a college town, it has a young feel. The live music is amazing! I've been to ACL, which is an *outdoor* music festival. The weather there is usually OK, and when it's hot, it's perfect to go swimming and even canoeing in Lake Austin:) The nightlife is great, and it's indie scene is huge! There are raves and many clubs to go to. The people of austin are so eccentric, and this city is perfect for a photo business.

Good luck!:)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've read that Portland's nature is a paradise, but Austin doesn't have much nature around...

Source(s): move portland austin tx: https://tr.im/dQvWh

I vote Austin. There is a lot of nature, you just have to drive out of the city. There are lots of outdoor activities too. Barton Creek is a beautiful, clear swimming/tubing place....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton_Creek

The Hill Country is beautiful, just not like Oregon. The South by SouthWest music festival is in Austin every year for a few days and always has great music. 6th St. is well known for all of the live music venues too. Being a college town, I'm sure you will find some good electro/indie clubs in Austin.

Austin does get hot in the Summer but so does NYC!

If you intend to go to the popular Hollywood you then require to create a trip to Los Angeles and this hotelbye is the place to start. In Hollywood you will see landmarks including the Walk of Fame (stars on the sidewalk), the Hollywood Sign, the Hollywood Bowl and more. Los Angeles is also a area for all the family because this place is the home to a number of world-famous amusement parks like Universal Studios, Disneyland and much more. In Los Angeles you can even came to savor the warm climate and beaches so regardless of one's pursuits, Los Angeles makes the perfect getaway.

I lived in portland..

its such s great city, the people are chill, stylish and everythings so green~

the summers are gorgeous

BUT the weather was HORRIBLE. it would rain for 5 min stop then rain for an hour and stop

idk about austin ive never been there but i heard its really artsy and nice

[i was supposed to move their but instead went to cali]

I say neither... go to Los Angeles California!

You get the sunny and warm weather without the annoying dry heat of the desert. It's a big enough city that has tons of clubs and photography always thrives in a place so close to Hollywood.

Good luck.

THERE IS NOT COMPETITION! portland duhhh!!! great city, fun energetic, relaxed, cool people, GREEN! GOOO PORTLAND. no offense but no to austin, i hear its the nicest city is texas though:)