promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What was the shot that the nurses gave my baby right after he was born?

me and my wife were just wondering what the shot was that they give babies right after they're born? i dont think they were drawing blood because they pricked his foot to do that. just curious, we are going to ask our doctors tomorrow if we don't find out online. thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a vitamin K shot. The injection is due to a serious, but rare illness that causes a baby's brain to bleed. While only 1 in 16,000 babies will have it, there is no test for it and prevention is the only option to this very devastating disease. In Australia, for a brief time they switched to oral drops, but after 2 or 3 infants had the disease, they determined that oral drops just aren't enough to prevent the early onset of this illness.

There is both early onset and latent onset of this disease. The vitamin K shot eliminates pretty much all cases, but there is a little risk for babies who are solely breastfed to get the latent disease (commercial formula contains Vit. K).

Hepatitis B is also given right away, but you can refuse this if the mother does not have Hepatitis B.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Minnow
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Usually there is a Hepatitis B and Vitamin K shot.

• 9 years ago

vitamin k, DO NOT be afraid to ask before they give the baby anything it is your right to know and they should have told you that on your hospital tour or some time

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

vitamin k. our doctor explained all the newborn procedures to us when my wife was 36 weeks pregnant. never be afraid to ask questions about your baby.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lola
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

vitamin K

• 9 years ago

Hep B??..i know my daughters received it after they were born..but im sure they would have let you know first..?..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.