Need help with Tax people that have experience in using 1099 MISC?

I worked at a place called ace cash express and we distributed cards for another company (prepaid cards) when we sold them to customers we got points and every card we sold we got 800 points once we received 4,000 points we could turn them points and get money for them. So I received a 1099 misc from this company, after I filed my taxes already and in box 7 it says 1740.00 dollars. I kept track of how much money I got from turning my points in I reported that income in the other income part on th 1040. Which was 1740.00 dollars. So what should I do now will I get in trouble cause it showed putting that in the other income box it took taxes off that money.

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    If these are "spiffs" then you treated them OK. You can find out spiffs by checking with the other employers. They go in other income and not Sch C

  • 10 years ago

    This sounds like it should have been reported in Box 3 on the 1099.

    Here are the instructions:

    Box 7. Shows nonemployee compensation. If you are in the trade or business

    of catching fish, box 7 may show cash you received for the sale of fish. If

    payments in this box are SE income, report this amount on Schedule C, C-EZ,

    or F (Form 1040), and complete Schedule SE (Form 1040). You received this

    form instead of Form W-2 because the payer did not consider you an

    employee and did not withhold income tax or social security and Medicare tax.

    If you believe you are an employee and cannot get the payer to correct this

    form, report the amount from box 7 on Form 1040, line 7 (or Form 1040NR,

    line 8). You must also complete Form 8919 and attach it to your return.

    Box 3. Generally, report this amount on the “Other income” line of Form 1040

    and identify the payment. The amount shown may be payments received as

    the beneficiary of a deceased employee, prizes, awards, taxable damages,

    Indian gaming profits, or other taxable income. See Pub. 525. If it is trade or

    business income, report this amount on Schedule C, C-EZ, or F (Form 1040).

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    If you had won a prize on a radio station or game show, The $1740 was part of your compensation for working, so should really have shown on your W-2. They took taxes off the 1099? That makes no sense at all.

    You might get a letter months from now or even a year from now looking for an some extra tax on the money. You can try then to convince them it's an award you shouldn't have to pay self employment tax on. I doubt it will fly, but it might.

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Spiffs are always shown on 1099-Misc, box 7.

    IF the owner of Ace Cash Express got the form, he'd include it in his business income.

    Since you are an employee, you list it on line 21 of the 1040 as "Manufacturer Incentive."

    If you get mail, repeat that phrase.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • tro
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    you should report this 1099 M income on Sch C and you will have to complete SE as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.