Has the Labor Party been considered soft regarding East Jerusalem and Gaza land concessions?

Does Ehud Barak's defecting from the Labor Party strengthen unity among Ehud Barak, Benjamin Netanyahu, and Nir Barkat?

Please be informative and patient in your answer as I am American and new to Israel government. Thank you.

Update:

@Daniel: TY. Your last statement hits home for me more than you can ever know. Please feel free to email me with other information. Your Email is not available to me on your profile and I don't sign on to answers as much of late.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the Labor party's record in recent years is any guide, the answer is yes. While Gaza had long been a place that most Israelis wanted to cast away, Labor was more vocal in advocating withdrawal than more conservative parties (most prominently the Likud party) in the years before the 2005 unilateral retreat from Gaza. As for east Jerusalem, in 2000 then-prime minister Ehud Barak had advocated a highly unwieldy redivision of Jerusalem, with parts of Jerusalem's eastern half being ceded to the Palestinian Authority as part of a deal that even the widow of assassinated Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin (1922 - 1995) thought was excessively generous (later that year, she died of natural causes). The late Yasser Arafat, of course, knowing weakness when he saw it, not only rejected the deal but seized upon a visit of then-opposition leader Ariel Sharon to the Temple Mount as a pretext for unleashing a second, and more deadly, intifada that ultimately led to full-scale war in the spring of 2002, more than a year after Ariel Sharon had been elected prime minister.

Mr. Barak's recent defection from the Labor party, in my view, signals two things:

1. He has become decisively more of a realist than he was when he was at the helm as prime minister, and

2. He recognizes that in his role as part of the current government, led by Benjamin Netanyahu of the Likud party (whom he defeated in the 1999 election), he cannot afford to be a freelancer with diplomacy, and this in and of itself will increase unity within the current Israeli government.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • haden
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

After 1951 issues settled down and remained extremely quiet. if the zionists had left it at that they could ultimately have won the international's comprehend. The land-grabbing led to off all the problem - after the 'sixty seven conflict of acquisition the full international stumbled on itself abruptly faced with Palestinian resistance,and it grew to become the international's problem. The west economic enterprise as a factor of Jordon grew to become into in reality all they had left of their place of beginning. to no count if it would make any distinction now to return it,my feeling is possibly no longer,even even though it may be well worth a attempt.

• Colfax
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

All the Muslims want is Jerusalem which was administered by Muslims from 6 century to 1975, orthodox jews could stay in Jerusalem, but all those fake jews from Europe and America, all the gays, and all those administrative, police and military of Israel should be moved to Tel Aviva, and the city of Jerusalem handed over to Palestine or Jordan. and they won't be anymore wars with israel.

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Israel already left Gaza in 2005 and got rockets back as a thanks.Israel has always tried to make peace

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Golfer
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The Palestine Humas does not want peace they want th kill all Jews, destroy Israel and steal the land from the Israeli's. So any concessions which are numerous to the Palestinians which has only resulted in more Israeli's getting killed. The Palestinians have "NEVER" kept there word. Their leaders get rich over money we Americans have sent to help them. Arafat was worth about a Billion when he dies on a salary of about $30,000. a year.

The more the Israelis have given the Palestine's the more they want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.