Trying to restore my computer?

My old vista, poor thing, won't start up. I tried going into safe mode but it said it was loading files and then it just...stopped loading files I guess. So the only other option I have is to restore my computer I suppose. The problem is I have A LOT and I mean A LOT of stuff that I can not lose! Pictures, videos, some files, and especially music! Will any of these things be deleted if I restore my computer?! I can't have this happen, that's the only reason I want to keep the computer is for those things.!

Favorite Answer

You will need to recover the data using something like asoftech data recovery. http://www.asoftech.com/adr/

I've had to use it many times in the past but it will require that you plug that drive into another system as an external drive or slave drive and run the software from there. It will rebuild the drive and hopefully recover the files.

Good luck.

If you restore your computer to a previous working state, no, your files will be fine. You are simply fixing your current windows. However if you have to install a new copy of windows, simply do not format the disc! I would recommend attempting to restore it first though. There is a difference between restoring and reinstalling. The very first thing you should do is insert your windows vista disc and boot from it when you turn your computer on. Then use it to "repair my computer." That should fix you up.

• Techno

On start up (before Windows loads) keep tapping either F5, F8 or F10 (be aware that some manufacturers use F8/F10 for system recovery) then use arrow keys to highlight 'Last known good configuration' hit Enter/Return, click on a user account, enter the password (if you don't know it, there probably isn't one so leave it blank) and hit return/enter.

If that doesn't work, try again, but this time highlight 'Safe Mode' hit Enter/Return, click on a user account, enter the password (if you don't know it, there probably isn't one so leave it blank) and hit enter/return.

A window will pop up asking if you want to carry on with safe mode or use system restore. Choose system restore, pick a date and time before the problem occurred and confirm.

**Be aware that restoring in Safe Mode cannot be undone!**

Or take the hard drive out and slave it to another machine and copy your 'stuff' to that until you reinstall yours, then copy back.

© arou42

• circle

you have not submit the spec of the coomputer so any answer may be very restricted in on the placement of resolving your situation. Are you going to 're-use' win ninety 8 or are you going for xp or a minimum of win 2000 ? First, are you able to boot up the gadget in any respect? if no longer, there are such multiple opportunities and how a lot time you've. in case you may manage to pay for in time smart, keep on hardship shoot different smart search for one in ebay or nowaday human beings supply away their previous workstation for loose. If the hard disk is positive yet in basic terms run sluggish, in case you want to adhere to win ninety 8, improve it to a larger disk, use a loose software, e.g. picture, to make a photo replica of your cutting-edge hard disk and 'remap' it on the recent larger disk and also you're going to be operating back. evaluation your motherboard, what comes with it, any usb port(s). what percentage loose pci - assuming the following. what type of ram it take, what's the max it may take etc. evaluation how a lot ram at present have and favor any improve etc. BTW, you suggested it replaced into sluggish once you 'abandon' it, if it may bootup, evaluate utilising open source - unix/linex fairly then domicile windows. reliable success

go to thepiratebay and download windows 7 iso. 32 bit is your best bet since i don't know if your computer is 32 bit or 64 bit. use NERO to burn the disk. anything else will probably fail.

then just put the disk in your drive, reboot, and press f12 repeatedly until you're taken to a screen with hard drive, removable disk, cd/dvd drive, etc. click dvd drive and you should just have to follow the instructions.

or you could order ubuntu for free off ubuntu.com but it takes about a month for your disk to arrive.

I will make it plain and simple. If you restore your computer than it will be like turning on your computer like you just bought a brand new computer. It will have none of your stuff.