JestR asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

How do u become a pilot?

I want to be a commercial pilot, what steps do I take? Should I go to the Air Force? I hear becoming a pilot in the air force is rare. I'm a sophmore right now. I'm thinking about appling to the Air Force Acdemy. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

I also want to become a commercial pilot. There are alot of requirements for you to become a commercial pilot. Here are some requirements from an aviation school I'm looking into. I'm very sure they have the same requirements for other schools. I'm not exactly sure where you live but look up aviation schools. Sometimes community colleges offer aviation degrees and that is definitely the cheapest way to go. So look around your area for schools.

# Be at least 18 years of age.

# Be able to read, write, and converse fluently in English.

# Hold a current FAA medical certificate.

# Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or complete a home-study course, such as studying Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Test (and the related Gleim FAA Test Prep Software Download), and Pilot Handbook. Subjects include:

1. FARs

2. NTSB Part 830

3. Aerodynamics

4. Aviation weather

5. Operation of aircraft

6. Weight and balance

7. Performance charts

8. Effects of exceeding limitations

9. VFR charts

10. Navigation facilities

11. Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM)

12. Aircraft systems

13. Maneuvers, procedures, and emergency operations in the airplane

14. Night and high-altitude operations

15. National airspace system

# Pass the FAA commercial pilot knowledge test with a score of 70% or better.

# Accumulate flight experience (FAR 61.129). You must log at least 250 hr. of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

1. 100 hr. in powered aircraft, of which 50 hr. must be in airplanes

2. 100 hr. as pilot in command flight time, which includes at least:

1. 50 hr. in airplanes

2. 50 hr. in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hr. must be in airplanes

3. 20 hr. of training in the areas of operation listed in item 8. below, including at least:

1. 10 hr. of instrument training of which at least 5 hr. must be in a single-engine airplane

2. 10 hr. of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered

3. One cross-country flight of at least 2 hr. in a single-engine airplane in daytime conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 NM from the original point of departure

4. One cross-country flight of at least 2 hr. in a single-engine airplane in nighttime conditions, consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 100 NM from the original point of departure

5. 3 hr. in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test within the 2 calendar months preceding the test

4. 10 hr. of solo flight in a single-engine airplane training in the areas of operation required for a single-engine rating, which includes at least:

1. One cross-country flight of not less than 300 NM total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 NM from the original departure point

1. In Hawaii, the longest segment need have only a straight-line distance of at least 150 NM.

2. 5 hr. in night-VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower

5. Use our Commercial Pilot Flight Maneuvers and Practical Test Prep book for your first commercial flight lesson to your practical test. We outline and illustrate each flight maneuver you will perform during your flight training and explain the common errors associated with each maneuver.

# Hold an instrument rating or your commercial certificate will be endorsed with a prohibition against carrying passengers for hire on flights beyond 50 NM or at night.

# Demonstrate flight proficiency (FAR 61.127). You must receive and log training, and obtain a logbook sign-off (endorsement) from your CFI on the following areas of operation:

1. Preflight preparation

2. Preflight procedures

3. Airport and seaplane base operations

4. Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds

5. Performance maneuvers

6. Ground reference maneuvers

7. Navigation

8. Slow flight and stalls

9. Emergency operations

10. High-altitude operations

11. Postflight procedures

# Successfully complete a practical test, which will be conducted as specified in Gleim Commercial

To the person saying you get paid 15k.. you are very wrong. Look it up.. pilots make a very decent amount of money.

Go for the AF Academy. You will need a nearly perfect GPA and SAT score. It doesn't hurt if you dad is a general or an admiral or a member of Congress. Touch all the bases at the AFA and graduate as #1 in your class. Apply for flight school, be accepted and earn those aluminum wings. Fly fighters and resign your commision upon the completion of your obligated service. Go to the airlines and voila, you are an airline pilot. See, simple isn't it? Good luck.

Source(s): Naval Aviator
  • amo

Of direction. Lots of airline pilots are feminine. You do not must have ultimate eyesight to be a pilot. You do not even want ultimate imaginative and prescient to be a US air drive pilot. To be a industrial pilot, your imaginative and prescient demands to be correctable to twenty/20. There's extra to it than that however the 20/20 requirement is the only such a lot folks are worried approximately.

The Air Force is currently over stocked with officers. The CSAF is finding ways to separate officers because the current obama administration is asking for it. That may change in two years, but probably not.

Source(s): in the Air Force

I want to be a pilot too, but I'm starting off at my local ground school. find yours, wich is easy and sign up. As soon as you graduate it, then think about the air force, but not yet.

you start taking lessons and you need so many hours in the air to get your license, then you need do that for so long and study for commercial flights and planes....but I heard pilots don't get paid crud! lol like 15k per year living off food stamps, it's a shame you think flying a plane you would be well paid having to move people safely that high up in the air every day