Teen going to a concert in Chicago alone? Safe?

I'm dying to go to a concert in Chicago later this month but my family is worried about the safety of Chicago. The concert is at the United Center, and we'd be staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Downtown hotel. It's about 3 miles from the hotel to the arena. Both are in downtown Chicago as far as I know. The concert ends at around 11:30PM, and my dad would pick me up outside of the arena. Do you guys think that it would be unsafe for me to go?

Well, the tickets for the concert are $300 because they're VIP, and I know the concert I'm seeing won't be my dads cup of tea.

I also forgot to add that I went to the same concert alone in St. Paul, MN, and it turned out fine.

Best Answer

Alone to a concert? Don't go alone. Take a friend, or meet up with a small group of friends. Besides.... concerts are a lot more fun if you go with friends.

The area west of the United Center can be VERY rough, but if your Dad picks you (and hopefully a friend) up and you head back to downtown (east of the United Center) you should be fine... but again, I'd recommend you go with a friend.

St. Paul isn't Chicago. Chicago is typically pretty safe, except for a few spots (West and South Sides can both be very rough).... but after about 11pm you need to be very aware of your surroundings, especially when traveling alone.

Source(s): I used to live in the Near West Side (near the United Center) and I used to frequent pubs near the United Center.... I know the area well.

not a problem. I have live in Chicago (on the south side none the less) and have been going to concerts alone for four years now (i am 17.) Some at the UC, Soldier Field and many smaller venues. I have gone to Blue's Clubs in what some of these other people are calling "rough neighborhoods" and have never had a problem. I assume you will be going with a friend or something because other wise it would not be worth it, it would be awkward. There are way too many people for you to get harassed by any "bad" people. Your dad will be picking you up right outside the center, which is not a problem. Also, the neighborhood is pretty nice now and would be safe for you to walk straight down Madison into down town. These other people probably see news stories and freak out. You are fine, trust me, i have been there before, many times before. I was at Linkin Park there about 2 weeks ago.

• Lolly

If you're a teen 18 or 19 yes it would be fine if you're a teen younger than 17 then no. Also the United Center isn't really downtown but the west side and it's not very nice, but it's fine when there is an event there. Many people around and being picked up makes it safe.

its a lot safer there than most suburbs and anywhere else you will go in this country. Frankly you are never safe anywhere in america. But I do not understand why people feel Chicago is not safe. I have lived in many places before like other city's, suburbs and even the country and Chicago has been the nicest of them all. I never worry about my kids or anyone when they go places in this city.

• D

you will be fine..that area used to h e double hockey sticks..now it is very peachy..300,000 condos and townhouses all around..the liquor store that used to be 2 blocks away..gone..anything involving a concert or sporting event will have police all around..so yes you all should be safe as long as you do what you are suppose to do..concert, maybe a bite to eat and you rooms..without hanging out with any stragglers...enjoy it...

downtown Chicago is safe. the worst you'll deal with is the occasional beggars. just don't go to south side. still though bring a buddy if you can. two is safer than one.

Never ever ever ever ever go alone. Make your father come with you or something.