Dual Citizenship (USA & Taiwan)?

I am a USA Citizenship by birth and will be following my misses to Taiwan. Is it possible to have citizenship in both countries?

This makes me raise an eyebrow since she can get dual citizenship. So this means that if I were nto born and natural citizen I can get dual? I just can't keep my citizenship?

• Alex G
    Favorite Answer

Of course you can have dual citizenship. Its a free country.

"Based on the U.S. Department of State regulation on dual citizenship (7 FAM 1162), the Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual citizenship is a "status long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other," (Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717) (1952). In Schneider v. Rusk 377 U.S. 163 (1964), the US Supreme Court ruled that a naturalized U.S. citizen has the right to return to his native country and to resume his former citizenship, and also to remain a U.S. citizen even if he never returns to the United States.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) neither defines dual citizenship nor takes a position for it or against it. There has been no prohibition against dual citizenship, but some provisions of the INA and earlier U.S. nationality laws were designed to reduce situations in which dual citizenship exists. Although naturalizing citizens are required to undertake an oath renouncing previous allegiances, the oath has never been enforced to require the actual termination of original citizenship.[24]"

• ?

Yes and no!

Taiwan allows it's citizens to take another citizenship BUT in order to get Taiwanese (AKA ROC) citizenship you must first give up all other citizenships. Of course this doesn't stop you from becoming a ROC citizen and then applying for US citizenship that you gave up!

Source(s): Married to a ROC citizen!

Yes. Both Taiwan and the US allow dual citizenship. Mainland China does not.

of direction, because Taiwan/ROC isn't a united states of america, "militia conscription" in Taiwan is illegitimate under international regulation. despite the fact that, as all of us be conscious of the Taiwan governing government do no longer pay any interest to international regulation concerns. At any fee, being drafted into the ROC/Taiwan militia will have not got any result on a individual's US citizenship/nationality.

Nope, being a US Citizen means giving up your citizenship to other countries.