Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Should Catholics really kneel before a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary?

Yes. Catholics kneel in front of a statue of the Virgin Mary to show her respect and honor, and to pray for her intercession; (Veneration of the Virgin Mary)

Thank you.

God bless you.

Best Answer

I have knelt before statues of The Blessed Virgin Mary and lots of other saints. It was done to honor them. I asked for their intercession on lots of occasions I will continue that practice for as long as I live.

• Daver

<<Should Catholics really kneel before a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary?>>

Catholics don't kneel in front of statues of the Blessed Virgin.

<<Yes. Catholics kneel <snip> the Virgin Mary)>>

No. Kneeling in front of statues of the Virgin Mary is NOT an element of any ritualistic (the Mass for example) activity.

Yes, Catholics venerate Mary, and the saints, but 'veneration' does not have to include the act of kneeling.

The norm of faith of the ancient catholicism and no one complained about it before the Protestants showed up.

Mother Mary is the intercessor between Jesus and men.

The Theotokos is the Greek title of Mary, the mother of Jesus used especially in the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Eastern Catholic Churches. Its literal English translations include God-bearer and the one who gives birth to God. Less literal translations include Mother of God. Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and some Protestants use the title Mother of God more often than Theotokos. The Council of Ephesus decreed in 431 that Mary is Theotokos because her son Jesus is one person who is both God and man, divine and human. etc

Such that, when you kneel before Mary, you also kneel for Jesus, cus it's thru her that the Son of God became Man.

Some Catholics do kneel, I dont see an issue with it for the most part. No different than kneeling at your bed side to pray. I know many Protestants that pray with their bibles in their hands, while kneeling.

Catholics Worship God alone.

When someone in your family is not among the living you toss them in a hole or bury them with a grave marker so you know who they are maybe a picture so you remember them? Statues are used the same way. They are not worshiped.

God doesnt say we cant have statues, in fact he commanded some be built.

Exodus 25:18

Thou shalt make also two cherubims of beaten gold, on the two sides of the oracle.

Numbers 21:9

Moses therefore made a brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: which when they that were bitten looked upon, they were healed.

Solomon had Statues in the Temple

1Kings 7:[27] And he made ten bases of brass, every base was four cubits in length, and four cubits in breadth, and three cubits high. [28] And the work itself of the bases, was intergraven: and there were gravings between the joinings. [29] And between the little crowns and the ledges were lions, and oxen, and cherubims: and in the joinings likewise above: and under the lions and oxen, as it were bands of brass hanging down.

God approved of the Temple, statues and all

1Kings 9:[3] And the Lord said to him: I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, which thou hast made before me: I have sanctified this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever, and my eyes and my heart shall be there always.

Peace be with you

<<<Devout Catholic>>>

Kneeling is conventional in this culture, it's an accepted posture. Veneration, worship, prayer, respect, etc. doesn't depend on the position of the body. Kneel if you want, don't if you don't want.

Yes, to show your respect. Virgin Mary was the mother of Jesus Christ. So, when you pray for Jesus, through the intercession of Mama Mary, He will surely hear what His loving mother ask for. It is not the statue you are referring to, because it serve as an image only but from the bottom of your heart whom your faith come, hoping that your prayers will soon be granted.

Yes, and no. Mary is not in that statue and one can kneel (or stand, or sit, or lie down) to pray to Mary anywhere. Kneeling and praying before a statue is often called a sign of respect, but really it is an outward showing of piety, and Jesus taught, through Matthew, that this was not necessary and might be overly ostentatious. Privacy is better than public show.

• Misty

Yes. Kneeling can have many purposes. Kneeling does not always denote worship, it can be honor and respect as well.

People for centuries knelt in front of royalty as a sign of respect...not worship.

Kneeling next to your bed when you pray doesn't mean you worship the bed.

We respect and honor Mary and all those who glorify God by the way they lived their lives.

A teacher of mine at college, who taught a religion class and comes from a strong Protestant religious background, explained it this practice well.

He described what he saw when he went the shrine of the Canadian Martyrs. He talked to the class of people he saw kneeling and praying in front of a piece of skull that belonged to one of the martyrs. Then he asked the class why, to which they were all silent. Then he asked them "what object do they know of that is sacred?"

He explained that these people weren't praying to the bone, or worshiping it, but using to help them focus on what *is* divine and what *is* sacred, God. Then he said that it was often a source of confusion for Protestants (about Catholics) when they kneel in front of candles, or statues, or icons. They aren't worshiping the object or the person that it represents, but using that to help focus on God, just the same way other religions may kneel with a Bible in hand.

Thanks! People often make long winded bible verse arguments about this but your right here's another way of explaining though( mabye)

Catholics don't worship mary!!!!!!

First off Jesus never says He is the only intercessor with the Father.

Second I can ask you to pray for me right?

Third so why can't i ask Mary(Jesus's mother) or anyone else dead or alive to pray for me?

If you look at the wording in the Hail Mary "Pray for us sinners" Is the key part

We don't worship Mary we simply ask her to pray for us as we would ask any other christian too.

And to the people who have problems with statues what about the staues/images on the ark of the covenent? And what about early christians who put images of Jesus and the apostels in their churches? Arccording to your logic they must have been deluded! since "god says you can't make images/ ITS IDOL WORSHIP!!!!"

Please before you condem us actually look up in books or a good web site like EWTN's what Catholics belive. Thanks!

Source(s): Catholic!