what are the most common factory farming methods that are cruel to animals, for example debeaking of chickens?

• Favorite Answer

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with bikinkawboy. But there is no such thing as a "factory farm." There is a similar type of operation called a Confined Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO). However, keep in mind that a lot (not all, but a lot) of the management practices performed on "small/free range/organic/family farms" are also performed on these CAFOs. Did you know 98% of all farms (crop & animal) are family owned and operated? Did you know that CAFOs make up about only 3% of all farms (crop & animal)?

Such management practices include:

- Identification (ear tagging, ear notching, branding, etc)

- Tail docking (on cattle, sheep, and hogs)

- Debeaking (on poultry)

- Castration (on any male animal; not really done with poultry...if it's done with poultry, it's called "caponizing")

- Shearing (for wooled sheep)

- Milking (dairy cattle, dairy sheep, dairy goats, etc)

If I can think of some more, I will add them later.

However, none of these are cruel to animals. They are done for a purpose. If it wasn't done with a purpose, it would be a waste of money (not only because you have to pay for the equipment to do it, the small amount of stress involved with animal handling can reduce their economic and feed efficiency).

Please not that not all farms are cruel--no matter what type they are. Just because a farm has more animals does not mean animal husbandry goes down. It is at the discretion of the farm owner--they can treat their animals as cruel or as humanely as they want. It does not matter what kind of animal operation the farmer has. Just like with crops--a farmer can neglect to take care of the crops (and thus get less money) or they can take care of their crops (and get more money)--think of it like a garden: if you take care of your garden you will get lucious fruits, veggies, and flowers. If you don't you won't.

Source(s): http://livestockeducationsociety.webs.com <-- My website. I own a CAFO with hogs and sheep. http://wheremeatcomesfrom.webs.com <-- Another great website.

I think that is the majority of the egg industry, especially in places like America where farming standards are pretty dire. Here in England I get my eggs from a farm in the village and I can see the chickens running round. Also, a lot of local people keep hens free range and they sell the eggs at the door. However, with all the egg industry, even free range small farms like the ones I buy from, the male chicks do get disposed of at birth. I was told they were gassed and used to feed snakes and birds of prey. It's a real shame and I can understand why people avoid eggs because of it :(

I'm not trying to insult you, but here we go again, a city person who knows nothing about production agriculture and therefore thinks producers are being cruel to their livestock or poultry for what reason? Just to be cruel??? Come on now. I've raised chickens for nearly 50 years and I know a few things about them. First off, chickens can be cannibalistic, especially in the winter time when they inside a building and they get bored. And before I go any further, let me say that they're kept inside in the wintertime because when outside, their combs will freeze and fall off and they can get very chilled trying to walk through snow. I doubt you'd want to walk through snow barefooted. Anyway, chickens get bored and single out a weaker individual or one molting and growing in new feathers. One individual will start pecking and pulling out feathers, others join in and once blood is drawn, there is a dozen or more chasing after the one poor individual. I've come home and found still living hens with half of their face pecked off, eye missing and with their brain exposed. I've found them with an actual hole 2X3 inches pecked into their back, flesh gone and ribs exposed. I've found them with their entire rectum pecked away and them dragging their intestines beind them while the other chickens have a feeding frenzy on them. Try to imagine the pain they were in and still they never made a sound, just tried to escape from the gang chasing them. The only thing I could do was kill the poor chicken and put it out of its misery.

Debeaking involves burning back the tip of the top beak while still a chick and I can best describe it like you cutting a fingernail too close and getting into the quick. Sure it hurts some at first, but the pain soon goes away. The chicks will be back eating and running around within minutes, so it must not be too painful. With the curved top part of the beak missing, they can still eat without problem, but it prevents them from pulling feathers and ripping other chickens apart.

So which do you consider the most cruel, inflicting a couple of minutes of discomfort onto a chick or having that chicken as an adult rip another one's intestines out and peck away the whole side of its head? Any intelligent person knows it's the latter is.

I assume you would also consider docking pigs tails (cutting them off short as a piglet) as being cruel. If you don't, pigs get bored and will chew another hog's tail off. And their ears once they get a taste of blood. How about clipping to shorten a newborn piglet's milk teeth? Those teeth are extremely sharp and if you don't clip them, when nursing they will deeply lacerate the sow's teats, leaving them so sore she won't let the piglets nurse. And then the piglets starve. I have no idea of why nature gave them milk teeth. So which is the most cruel, clipping the tips off of their teeth (which is painless) of letting them injure the sow and then the piglets starve to death? I think you know the answer to that one as well.

And let's discuss how sheep producers dock the tails of lambs. Yes, I know that surely hurts when they get their tail cut off, but if it isn't shortened, manure sticks to the wool on the tail, blow flies lay eggs in the manure, the eggs hatch into maggots and the maggots then start consuming the lamb's flesh, basically eating it alive. Left alone, there will be a hole in the animal the size of a baseball or larger teeming with maggots. The lamb can do nothing to rid itself of the maggots and has to stand there, being eaten alive. If you were a lamb producer, which avenue would you take, inflict some pain while the lamb is young or let it suffer "flystrike?" Anyone who is concerned with the health and well being of the lamb will dock the tail.

You're a perfect example of just how ignorant (uninformed) non-ag people are about what goes on at the farm. Producers certainly aren't going to waste time and effort clipping teeth, docking tails or cauterizing beaks just for the sheer enjoyment of it. We have much better things to do with our time than to inflict pain just for the fun of it.

I did a whole project of factory farming a while ago, so know a lot of facts. Contact me for info (:

NONE!

Spewing peta-nutz propaganda=lies =doesn't alter reality.