Suddle ways to show this person in my book has leukemia, without being to obvious?

By the way: I know I spelt suddle wrong, and all so o well. Ok well in my story there is this normal girl who has the player, Jake trying to get her. I just now decided she should end up with leukemia and all but I dont know how to make suddle ways of showing it. Also I already wrote one chapter and a prologue and it would be really nice if you could read them and tell me changes I could make to make the story .. you know like slowly show she has leukemia. I don't want to completly re-write it, I just want to add some things in or take somethings out so it will make more since. So please help!

heres the url:http://www.wattpad.com/996471-to-be-jealous-i%27d-...

Also please comment about how you like my story so far. Ohh and if you think she should have a diffrent disease or cancer so it wont sound to much like A walk to remember, please just tell me your ideas! Thanks XD

Favorite Answer

I really like what you've got so far, you just need to double check your spelling and grammar. I wouldn't give the girl leukemia, that would be way too much like A Walk To Remember. Actually, I wouldn't give the girl any disease. Make the guy get sick. Like make her fall for him, and then make him find out that he has some sort of disease... Or whatever.

Ways to show the sickness to other people without going right out and saying "I have leukemia!" would be:

*Maybe their hair starts getting thinner because of chemo-therapy...

*Maybe they start to lose weight..

*Maybe they start looking pale all the time...

*Maybe (if you went with the guy getting sick) he could stop being a womanizer, start coming to class on time...

*Maybe they are really tired, and have a lot of trouble staying awake in class

*Maybe they act really depressed around their friends...

There is all kinds of ways that you can show sickness, some would be more creative than others, but I agree with you that it would be a bad idea to just go right out and say "I have leukemia/Cancer/some other disease."

Hehe, it's subtle. It sounds nothing like it spelt. :L

Okay, I haven't read your story but I know subtle ways to hint that a person has leukemia. I've wrote a worldwarthreenuclearbombingraditionsopeoplegetcancer story, so I know this stuff from my own research for that story, sorta.

So, nose bleeds is the first one. Leukemia is cancer of the blood and bone marrow. Usually, there isn't a tumor or growth, but it depends, I guess. The next is fainting. If the blood isn't working properly due to a mutation in cells, then oxygen and carbon dioxide isn't going to get to the brain on time, depending on the circumstances, so this may induce fainting. Of course, the third is dizziness as this is associated with fainting. The next is bone pain. This feels like an ache deep in your bones. Again, this is probably (I'm guessing here) associated with the mutations taking place within the bone marrow. Forth is blue lips and fingertips. This is to do with the oxygen thing again. When oxygen is used up in the blood, the blood turns from red to blue. This blood is rich in carbon dioxide and low in oxygen. This happens in leukemia patients because of mutations in the blood (I think).

I know that these things do happen with leukemia patients but my reasons behind these things may not be completely true because I'm picking these from my brain. I'd do your own research on these symptoms before putting them in your story.

Fifth, excessive bruising along the vertebral column... or spine, whichever you want to call it. Blood isn't working -> bruises. That's a very vague reason, I know. Forgive me, I'm tired (:

Sixth, petechiae. These are tiny purplish-red spots on the skin caused by tiny blood capillaries bursting.

Seventh, flu-like symptoms; headaches, chills, fever, night sweats, cough, runny nose, the lot.

Eighth, weight loss. Something to do with an enlarged liver or spleen.

Ninth, cuts won't scab quickly. This is due to a lack of functioning platelets.

Tenth, anemia. Anemia is where there isn't enough iron in the blood.

There is ten subtle ways to hint at leukemia. Before you even think about writing about a cancer, you need to do a lot of research. I spent days on research for my story involving cancer. That was back in 2009 I did my research, hence why my reasoning is so bad. Sadly, the story wandered into a brick wall and was never finished.

The reason as to why you need to know just about everything from platelets to leukocytes to erythrocytes is because if you get one thing wrong, people will know. People will go think that the author was too lazy to go do their research beforehand. Cancer isn't something you can make up. There are people out there who will criticize you for getting something wrong.

Also, you need to decide what TYPE of leukemia your girl has. There are loads. Some of more common than others. Make sure the type you choose is age appropriate as well. Not many say 6 year old kids develop a colon cancer common in obese people. For a example, a 16 year old girl would not be likely to develop cancer all of a sudden, instead she would have been suffering from say Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia since she was a child. This type of leukemia is something to do with DNA.

All I can say is, DO YOUR RESEARCH. If this is apart of research, I salute you. Research everything I've mentioned. Wikipedia is priceless. Just make sure you cross reference your findings with more reliable websites as well.

Make it so that obvious symptoms come up, but she barely seems to notice... and don't show the sympotoms clearly:

Ex. As I got out of the shower, I felt a sudden punch of weakness. My phone started ringing, and it was... JESSE!

Then immediately turn into something normal!!

Have someone notice odd bruises on her, make her tired lots, have her easily get sick, have her maybe a little depressed. ..............Send her in the hospital...bald hair...ect

The first ones are subtle, the other two would be for the end of the book.

If you google leukemia, you'll get lots of links that talk about the symtoms

It's subtle, haha :)

I can't click on the link (my computer sucks), but I'm going to advise you to look up the symptoms and just casually pop them in here and there. I dunno, maybe you've aleady done that. But it's pretty effective, and if you get the symptoms right, the medical nuts in your audience will be satisfied (my mum used to be a nurse, and there's nothing she hated more than misrepsented illnesses. So be careful).

Again, maybe you've already done that. Humm.

you could mention different symptoms showing up, like he notices she has a lot of bruises, and she gets sick every couple of weeks and can't spend time with him, stuff like that.

Pretty much everything that the past answers contain.

Source(s): By the way, I think you shouldn't have posted up the website. People - some trolls - might click on it and pretty much comment that the guy will have leukemia. Just sayin'. :x

weak, tired, bruises, joint pains, a "full" tummy, weight loss etc.