Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

Gun and Knife laws For Ohio?

Hi I'm curious about what exactly the law says about carrying guns and knives. What knives are legal or not? If I were carrying an illegal knife or gun and I got caught would I be looking at jail time even if I didn't know? And how much time would I be looking at?

If you could help that would be great. I've been trying to just look online at laws but I'm not having much success with determining jail time. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

If you are caught with an illegal gun or knife it all depends on whether you have any prior criminal history but probably some time.~~

I. DEADLY WEAPONS.

§ 2923.11. Definitions.

As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:

(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon...

(J) "Ballistic knife" means a knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism...

* * * *

§ 2923.12. Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 [2923.12.5] or 2923.1213 [2923.12.13] of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed hangun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, and who is carrying a concealed handgun shall fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun.

(C) (1) This section does not apply to officers, agents, or employees of this or any other state or the United States, or to law enforcement officers, authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance and acting within the scope of their duties.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a handgun and acting within the scope of the officer's, agent's, or employee's duties;

(b) A person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 [2023.12.5] or 2923.1213 [2923.12.13] of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 [2923.12.6] of the Revised Code.

(D) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A)(1) of this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon and that any of the following applies:

(1) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor's lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of a character or was necessarily carried on in a manner or at a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(2) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in a lawful activity and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon the actor, a member of the actor's family, or the actor's home, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

I dont understand approximately ohio yet in maximum states if the blade is smaller than your palm its legal i moved from pensylvania to washington state and the regulation replaced into the comparable. additionally in virginia new jersey and delaware so some distance as i understand until eventually the regulation replaced into replaced or i replaced into advised the incorrect answer when I asked my kin that lives in each state. I own extremely some and that i like to sense secure ever for the reason that a knife replaced into pulled.on me so i constantly ask