Megan asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

How many platys can be in a 5 gallon tank?

If my tank is heavily planted and I do often water changes, how many platys can I keep in my tank? I have no other choice but to use what I have. I have two platys and they seem really healthy and happy. I've heard you can't keep a platy if a 5 gallon but I just bought this tank and fish. I doubt that I can return any. Is there anyone who has done this and been successful? If you have please share :) no rude answers please.

Ok well apparently one of you misunderstood my paragraph, I had no idea that platy fish couldn't be put in a five gallon tank. Otherwise I would have bought a bigger one. Now I'm stuck with a 5 gallon tank and need some advice. So instead of wearing me down give me the advice that you claim to have please.

• iYuuki
    Favorite Answer

If you just bought it, you can return the tank and/or the fish if you want to.

Returning fish is easy, returning the tank might be a bit more difficult though. It would probably be easier for you to just return the fish, and get a Betta fish for the 5 gallon tank.

IMO, the amount of water changes you'd have to do to keep this tank safe would be too stressful on the fish. Not to mention the stress of simply being in such a small tank in the first place. Stressed fish = dead fish, so I think it would be best for you to return them if you can't provide at least a 10 gallon tank soon.

In terms of waste, 2.

That being said, all livebearers need at least 10 gallons, mollys need even more.

This isn't because they won't fit, its because they will become stressed out in such a small environment. If you're really dedicated to keeping these fish, you should upgrade to a larger tank, and then you could get plenty more, including other types of fish.

If you upgrade to a 10 gallon, you have a lot more possiblities.

Happy fish keeping!

Source(s): experience- 3 platys, also in the process of raising fry.
  • Liz

You could keep 3 in a planted 5gallon that had lots of water changes done on it etc, but they would be a lot better of in a 10gallon+ tank.

Why on earth did you buy the fish & tank knowing that they weren't suitable for it? Fish aren't just some type of toy for that you get because you want them even though you know you can't look after them properly (acting like some spoilt kid), they're living feeling animals that need to be looked after properly like any other animal. You're seriously (at best) compromising you're fishes lives here (at worst risking them).

Well. Anyhoo -_- ...

You really need to read up on cycling tanks and understanding & maintaining good aquarium water quality, heres a link to a great site on everything you need to know concerning this;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-...

Maximum of 3 I'd say. Since platys can get to about 2 inches, you are going to want to have a gallon of water for every inch the fish will get. Also be aware platys will reproduce like crazy if you mix sexes, you can tell by the bottom fin. Males have a pointier bottom fin and females have a wavier fin on the bottom.

Source(s): Work at petsmart

I've fit four happy platys in my five gallon tank.. All they really need is a filter. I'm not sure if they're tropical fish. But you maay want to look that up. I read somewhere that the amount of fish is by how many inches they add up to. One inch fish per gallon. :b So, five inches worth of fish for your five gallon tank. One thing about that rule is, you can't fit a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank. Hahah. Good luck!

I wouldn't keep platies in anything less than a ten gallon.

Source(s): 12 years experience with freshwater and brackish aquariums.

platyies are tropical and 2 0r 3 wud be able to live in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter