Has anyone any experience of mouth guards to prevent teeth grinding?

I have just been to the dentist thinking I had a bad tooth, instead she thinks the pain is from my jaw and is due to teeth grinding in my sleep. I know I do it and quite badly as my sister has woken me up to stop me when we are away on holiday together. As well as the jaw pain I also get episodes of cluster... show more I have just been to the dentist thinking I had a bad tooth, instead she thinks the pain is from my jaw and is due to teeth grinding in my sleep. I know I do it and quite badly as my sister has woken me up to stop me when we are away on holiday together.

As well as the jaw pain I also get episodes of cluster headache.

Has anyone used a mouth guard to stop teeth grinding? Did it work? Did it help with the cluster headaches? Does it take a long time to get used to it and does it affect your sleep?
Update: Hi Luca - thanks for a brilliant explanation - I'm not so sure about how to find the cause though - my sister says I've done since was a child (she is 14 years older!) I'm now 52 so it's a wonder I have any teeth left at all! I'm going back to the dentist next week for an extensive series of X-Rays and as that... show more Hi Luca - thanks for a brilliant explanation - I'm not so sure about how to find the cause though - my sister says I've done since was a child (she is 14 years older!) I'm now 52 so it's a wonder I have any teeth left at all! I'm going back to the dentist next week for an extensive series of X-Rays and as that will be a longer appointment I hope to have more time to talk to her about it.
1 answer 1