Bryant B asked in TravelAustraliaSydney · 9 years ago

Do Australians Really Say Crikey!?

Curious to know why Steve Irwin always said it in his show. Or if he came up with it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Crikey is a word that WAS common about 40 or 50 years ago but has almost disappeared from everyday speech...

Most users here probably have never heard it in daily speech but I certainly have along with words like Bonza & You beauty ...

Source(s): J...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

There are only four Australians who say Crikey. Steve Irwin is one, the other three are his wife and two children and then only when on TV or on Stage at the Zoo.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Australian Crikey

• zafir
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Crikey is actually English slang, something my father used to say a lot, but I've only rarely heard it said in Australia.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I've only heard it being use imitating Steven and just the other day walking home seeing a guy cutting a tree and stuffed up and he said "Crikey, f**ck*ng piece of sh't"

• 9 years ago

It's an old word along with things like sheila or stone the crows or flamin' mongrels.

It's possibly still in use by some old timers, maybe a little more so in country areas; but generally it's not used in Australia...

• 9 years ago

It is a word that is understood to be in the lexicon but I have never heard anyone use it colloquially. A little like Americans very very rarely would hear or use the word 'darn-tootin'. Both make their respective native speakers feel slightly sick.

• 9 years ago

I've never used it and neither does anyone I know.

I watched and old English Movie "Carry on Nurse" it was used in that.

• 9 years ago

NO! and we dont say shrimp on the barbie and most of that dumb slang. we dont hop on kangaroos every where and the majority of us dont live in the outback. mind you though bear grills calls it survival in the bush when he was in australia we just call it camping. hahaha

• 9 years ago

NO we do not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.