Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How much can a student charge for a professional service?

I know a student can not charge what a professional would for services, i.e. photography. I have heard that they are only allowed to charge you for the material used and a small charge for their time. Does anyone know if that is true?

Update:

@ Ted... HAHA NO!!

Update 2:

OK.. I didn't mean CAN charge, I guess I should ask how much would most people pay a student?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Andy W
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A student (or anyone else) can charge as much or as little as they want to.

• 1 decade ago

Not true :)

There's no cap on the price for your services. I can charge as much as I want when selling my shots, but I need to be realistic in my price decision as I could easily put off a customer if I asked him 100k for a shot!

Generally, I ask for around 15 CHF (≈US$12) for A4 prints. When I am testing film cameras for clients, I charge them for dev+printing costs and the cost of the film, on top of which I add a 5% surcharge to ensure that I don't just break even. Profits have to be made!

JPJ

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A student - or an amateur can charge as much as they want. Whether they will get any customers at the rates they dream of is another question. I have a camera, and I have taken a couple of good shots of my kids and a sunset or two. If I agreed to be the photographer for your wedding, at $4,000 an hour, would you hire me?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Where did you hear that?

A student can charge whatever they want.

I don't even have a degree in photography, and I charge a lot more than people who do, because I think I am better.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They can charge whatever they like, there is no limit-at least not in the US

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.