How much can a student charge for a professional service?

I know a student can not charge what a professional would for services, i.e. photography. I have heard that they are only allowed to charge you for the material used and a small charge for their time. Does anyone know if that is true?

@ Ted... HAHA NO!!

OK.. I didn't mean CAN charge, I guess I should ask how much would most people pay a student?

• Andy W
    Favorite Answer

A student (or anyone else) can charge as much or as little as they want to.

Not true :)

There's no cap on the price for your services. I can charge as much as I want when selling my shots, but I need to be realistic in my price decision as I could easily put off a customer if I asked him 100k for a shot!

Generally, I ask for around 15 CHF (≈US$12) for A4 prints. When I am testing film cameras for clients, I charge them for dev+printing costs and the cost of the film, on top of which I add a 5% surcharge to ensure that I don't just break even. Profits have to be made!

JPJ

A student - or an amateur can charge as much as they want. Whether they will get any customers at the rates they dream of is another question. I have a camera, and I have taken a couple of good shots of my kids and a sunset or two. If I agreed to be the photographer for your wedding, at $4,000 an hour, would you hire me?

Where did you hear that?

A student can charge whatever they want.

I don't even have a degree in photography, and I charge a lot more than people who do, because I think I am better.

They can charge whatever they like, there is no limit-at least not in the US