If I put a plant in a plastic bag, and put it over my head, will I be able to breathe?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Depends on the size of the plant and the size of the plastic bag.

For one thing, the plant has to produce sufficient oxygen for you to breathe, and second the bag has to large enough to hold all the oxygen you (and the plant) need at night. If you make the bag large enough (say, 3 and a bit acres), the plants in there could supply the oxygen for 8 people. That experiment was done during the nineties and called 'Biosphere 2'.

So, from the size of Biosphere 2, you could conclude that the bag for a single person would need to have roughly 1500 m^2 - the size of quite a large bit of real estate for a single house.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

A plant wont produce enough oxygen to sustain you in the long run. In fact, most fresh air comes from the ocean.

• 9 years ago

can you fit your head in the bag with the plant in it? you'll be able to breathe...just not for a long time..

• 9 years ago

No, not for a long time, the plant does not convert co2 to o2 as fast as you breathe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

If you're thinking you can breathe because plants create oxygen, no. Plants wouldn't create enough oxygen for you to breathe. They create it slower than you use it.

• 9 years ago

Call 911 immediately, you seem suicidal

Source(s): Wisdom
  • 9 years ago

Not for long....

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

eventually, no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.