Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePreschool · 9 years ago

Play is important to children but children are playing less and less nowadays. They are spending more time....?

Play is important to children but children are playing less and less nowadays. They are spending more time with TV and less time playing, especially outside. What is the value of play for children and the effects of play deprivation during childhood?

Best Answer

There's a good book about this topic called "Einstein Never Used Flashcards".

http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Never-Used-Flash-Ca...

It was written by child development experts and parents. It doesn't really talk about the effects of too much T.V., but it does discuss the benefits of play. They were more concerned with over-zealous parents over scheduling their children and trying to make them gifted rather than the effects of T.V, but I think their argument is still valid. Play is how young children primarily learn. They learn social skills from imaginary play. The also work out some inner conflicts through play. They also learn math and verbal skills through play.

Play is also how children get exercise which is not only good for their physical health but their mental health, just like it is for adults.

That being said, I'm not sure that T.V. in itself is entirely a bad thing. There are plenty of educational shows that in moderation are probably o.k. There are things that our children can only experience by watching on T.V.

I read about a study that was done years ago. The person talked to many violent criminals. One thing he found in MANY (majority) of their stories was a lack of play growing up.

I don't remember where I saw that, but if you can find that study, it might really help your paper.

play is a time for gets to develop life long skills