Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 9 years ago

Need help building a computer please.?

just wondering if all these parts are compatible and if its a good rig.

Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive HD103SJ 55$

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity 170$

ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM 17$

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply 70$

GeIL Value PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GVP34GB1600C9DC 44$

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX 150$

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard 90$

NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 90$

Zalman Performa Cpu Cooler 40$

PS DO NOT tell me to build a pc for 1000 dollars! If you have non crazy recomendations about what works better and such then go ahead.

PSS btw im planning on usg this for gaming in case you havent figured that out.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

looks all compatible. I'm sure you can find a better processor for $150 than that. go for an i-series intel processor in that price range. Don't get an off-brand motherboard like ASRock. You need to get an ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard if you are building your own. With memory being so cheap nowadays, why not get 8GB? 4 GB is adequate, but 8 would give you more performance for not much increase in price.

• Me M

I saw that CPU on newegg for 150 and it came with a heatsink/fan. So, as long as you plan on using it at its stock speed, then you should be able to use that without problem. This will save you $40. Double check the description and/or details and see if a heatsink/fan is included.

I haven't tried Samsung drives... so it may be ok. However, I have had bad experiences drives that are not made by Western Digital or Seagate. Other brands, such as IBM and Hitachi, failed in a fraction of the time that I would expect. Samsung drives may be good, but I stick with Seagate or WD to stay safe. From Newegg, you can get a Seagate drive for $5 more and it has over 1100 reviews with an average rating of 4/5. Also, you want performance, stay away from the "green" WD drives though.

For gaming, you may want to put more ram in it.... it wouldn't hurt.

You didn't list an OS. You are going to want to get a 64-bit version of Vista or Windows 7. Make sure to get the 64 bit version... the 32-bit version will only let you use about 3 GB of your ram.

While not necessary, sometimes a second DVD drive can be useful. They are cheap enough that you may consider getting a second one.

Otherwise, you system looks like it will work well.

Yeah looks pretty good all around. I just ordered that same computer case to transfer my i7 build to. Have an ASRock board to and it's been perfect with no probs

Btw, ASRock is owned by ASUS