What is the most affordable place to live in Southern California?

My mom and I are moving from Champaign, IL to somewhere in SoCal.

Okay, so first off I know that cheap, and Southern California don't go together. That's why I'm asking what is the *most* affordable, neighborhood/city(of course staying out of the bad areas). Putting aside the cost of moving and buying a house, what are the living expenses like?(please no answers like, "too expensive!"). Whats an average electric/gas/water bills like for two people in a two bedroom house? Everyone says traffic is ridiculous there but I went and stayed in Los Angeles for a week in various areas, driving most of the time we were there, and the only time we got stuck in traffic was Friday night in downtown Santa Monica near the beach. I've also looked at ads from the grocery stores and I don't see a HUGE difference in price. As for gas, we both have economical vehicles(one of those being a motor scooter), I expect the gas to be 30-40 cents more a gallon, is that about right?

So basically I'm asking two main questions

1. Where is the most affordable place to live in Southern California(within an hour from LA or SD) while still living in a safe neighborhood?

2. What is the biggest expense of living in California?

We really want to move there, we understand it will be different and difficult, but we are willing to put forth the effort and struggle to start off. Please only constructive answers, don't just say "don't do it".

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Best Answer

As you have probably learned there are about 100 different cities in LA County and hundreds of different neighborhoods. Most of those are middle class, meaning a 2 bedroom apartment will rent for $1000-$1500 a month.

- Our utilities are probably cheaper than what you currently pay.

- Since the oil platform fires about 5 years ago in the gulf, So Cal gasoline as been comparable to the rest of the country. Northern Cal is about $.50 more per gallon.

- Auto and health insurance are very expensive; truly the MOST expensive things are traffic violations = Tiger Woods in Florida had to pay a fine for "wreckless driving" and it cost him $156. I got a ticket for a right turn on red (wasn't allowed in that area) and cost almost $600 (and this was my first ticket).

Instead of use going through all the neighborhoods, it would be more productive for you to www.rentals.com or yahoo real estate and figure out what you can afford.

Additionally, it's always smartest to work near where you live. A 30 mile commute could be 1.5+ hours a day each way. FYI - traffic during the winter is always worse than the summer (has to do with the light/dark & all the teachers/students commuting; if your were here in the summer, you won't have a good impression of the traffic).

Remember, California unemployment is 12%. There are jobs to be had. You need to look and work to find them. If you don't have 9+ months of living expenses, don't come here until you have at least that.

• Lynn

I recommend you to try this internet site where you can get quotes from the best companies: http://QUOTESDEAL.NET/index.html?src=2YAcdai4rcEy3

RE :What is the most affordable place to live in Southern California?

Follow 7 answers

Mexico City (Ciudad de México) could be the capital of Mexico and an amazing town surrounded by great pile ranges. To see this town you can pick the best selection hotelbye . The city's location is unquestionably breathtaking. Two magnificent snow-covered volcanoes, Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl, tower above it with their more of 5,000 meters. Mexico City also keeps countless reminders of its previous and those are issues that entice the tourists. The whipping heart of Mexico City is Zócalo - the Plaza de la Constitución (Constitution Square) - where the country's first constitution was proclaimed in 1813 and now could be one of the very most visited place of Mexico City since it's one of the world's biggest squares. In Mexico City you can also visit: the National Palace, the Metropolitan Cathedral and the Templo Mayor.

See a movie star; sip a beverage on a beach bar at sunset; wear a couple of designer sneakers within an ultra-luxurious shop in Beverly Hills; enjoy at Universal Studios Hollywood concept park, examine world-class museums, or party the night time out in a starlet-filled club…..this are only someof the items you will dsicover in Los Angeles, find that city with hotelbye . Los Angeles may be the California's liveliest city; is the leisure capital of America, with megastar wattage and nonstop activities. Hollywood could be the most-see attractions in Los Angeles. That place attracts countless visitors each year who travel there to cover respect with their beloved stars and maybe even catch a glimpse of several popular personalities. And sometimes they are lucky!

Venice (Venezia) really wants number introduction, see how to get there with hotelbye . That city has been a fabled location for centuries. Only the name Venice is enough to conjure up a host of photographs, even for individuals who have not yet set base in Italy. From gondoliers in striped tops to the Rialto and the Bridge of Sighs, masked balls, fantastic barges, courtesans in gondolas and failing palaces facing streets made of water Venice is an amazing city. When the only link across the Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge scars the spot of the island's first settlement, called Rivus Altus and is now one of many lots of place that Venice needs to offer.

First find a job, and then decide where to live. Doing it the other way around doesn't usually work.

The general rule is the further inland you go away from the coast, the cheaper the housing. Riverside and San Bernardino are very cheap. Los Angeles and Orange counties are expensive.

For a two bedroom house, you shouldn't be spending more than $40 a month on utilities.

Areas to check out: Glendale, Burbank, Montrose, La Crescenta, Pasadena, parts of Eagle Rock and Silverlake If you want to go further east, try Rancho Cucamonga, San Dimas, Covina, Upland.

OMG I went from renting a 2 bedroom apartment for 500 a month in Northern California to renting a bedroom in a house 600 a month in So Cal. It's so outrageous here! You would be better off moving to Arizona!

1

Source(s): Pencil Portraits Course http://emuy.info/RealisticPencilPortrait/?4b96

Palm Springs aside, look at a map, generally the further from the ocean the cheaper it is...