How much sand on white sand beaches is parrot fish poop?Where does the rest come from?

Favorite Answer

you forgot about the crushed shells, some beaches are 95% crushed shells and only 5% parrot fish poop. most are a mix of:

sedimentary deposition from alluvial plains (eg: 'sand') and crushed shells from molluscs and similar bivalve crustaceans ;)

• George

It is said that every grain of sand has passed through the gut of a worm at some point. With that definition all sand is poop. In the case of the parrot fish poop it is very water soluble and is easily eaten by other organisms so it is parts per million on a white sand beach. Water action creates the rest of the sand by river transport from distant sources like mountains, or wave action that breaks up rocks and coral to make sand beaches. White sand beaches can also be made up of small shelled organisms and not rock at all.

Source(s): geology 101
  • luo

Parrot Fish Poop

I have no idea how much is parrot fish poo (?) but the sand on the beach comes from eroded rocks inland transported by rivers to the ocean. It is then transported by long shore drift/ ocean movement to beaches.

One balmy evening in June, I joined a small group in a classroom above a shopping mall in Cairns to learn about parrot fish poo, among other things. The next morning, I was due to head to the reef.

"Just remember," Cook, the cheerful marine biologist, told the class, "about 70 per cent of that lovely white sand you will see out there is made out of parrot fish poo."

• Sylvia

White. I live 30 minutes to the nearest beach.

• Randal

I have heard that the beach in Orange Beach, Alabama is composed entirely of crushed quartz.

I hope this helps.

• 90% fish poop and 5% crushed stone.