E
E asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicBlues · 9 years ago

Necessary blues music from the 20s and 30s? Or just blues in general?

I own this CD:

http://www.yazoorecords.com/3002.htm (has the track listing here) which is a complication album of a bunch of blues recordings from the 20s and 30s, and I realllyy like it, but that's probably the extent of my blues collection, which the exception of some other stuff, and more contemporary stuff, or just later stuff like Hendrix and Clapton, but nothing old and pre-electric guitar. What are some albums any blues fan should own? Or artists I should know?

Favorite Answer

Listen to some Robert Johnson on You Tube. Does it seem important to you? Buy some, and listen to it more seriously.

Blind Lemon Jefferson - same process.

Charlie Patton, Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Memphis Minnie, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Blake, Willie McTell, Papa Charlie Jackson.

Don't listen to any of these people because you've been told that they are good - use your own judgment.

There are hundreds of others who are also worth listening to - but these names will give you a start.

For the transition to electric blues you should go through Charley Christian, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James .... maybe Professor Longhair and Champion Jack Dupree.

This is just a start - but once you have found the path, you can make your own way.

.....

(The CD you already have contains mainly good stuff - but the selection is eccentric. When you know your way around, you will understand).

• Robert Johnson

Bessie Smith

Sippie Wallace

Elmore James

• ?

Ma Rainey

Billy Holiday