Words that start with the prefix Tetra?

The Greek prefix meaning Four.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is what I have with : http://www.scrabble-word-finder.com/word-generator...

TETRA

TETRAD

TETRAS

TETRADS

TETRACID

TETRADIC

TETRAGON

TETRAMER

TETRAPOD

TETRARCH

TETRACIDS

TETRAGONS

TETRAGRAM

TETRALOGY

TETRAMERS

TETRAPODS

TETRARCHS

TETRARCHY

TETRACAINE

TETRACHORD

TETRAGONAL

TETRAGRAMS

TETRAHEDRA

TETRAMERIC

TETRAMETER

TETRAPLOID

TETRARCHIC

TETRASPORE

TETRAZZINI

TETRACAINES

TETRACHORDS

TETRADRACHM

TETRAHEDRAL

TETRAHEDRON

TETRAHYMENA

TETRALOGIES

TETRAMEROUS

TETRAMETERS

TETRAPLOIDS

TETRAPLOIDY

TETRARCHIES

TETRASPORES

TETRASPORIC

TETRAVALENT

TETRAZOLIUM

TETRACYCLINE

TETRADRACHMS

TETRAGONALLY

TETRAHEDRITE

TETRAHEDRONS

TETRAHYMENAS

TETRAPYRROLE

TETRAZOLIUMS

TETRACHLORIDE

TETRACYCLINES

TETRADYNAMOUS

TETRAFLUORIDE

TETRAHEDRALLY

TETRAHEDRITES

TETRAPLOIDIES

TETRAPYRROLES

TETRACHLORIDES

TETRAFLUORIDES

TETRAGRAMMATON

TETRAGRAMMATONS

TETRAHYDROFURAN

TETRAMETHYLLEAD

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yahoo Answers has a very unfortunate way of chopping off long terms such as organic structures, etc.Your structure is not complete, but by looking at some of the options in your list I have worked out what the original should have looked like. I have drawn it as below. If I can offer some advice here: It is nearly impossible to interpret the proper nomenclature from the written out molecule as you have shown. It is better to draw it out as below: ..........CH3..............CH3...H ..........l.......................l...... CH3 - C - CH2 - CH2 - C - C - CH2 - CH2 - CH3 ..........l.......................l...... .........CH3..................H..CH2 ......................................... .....................................C... .....................................l ....................................CH... ....................................l ...................................CH3 Now let us try and name this: All bonds are single bonds, so we are dealing with an alkane. At first examination, you have a straight 9 carbon chain, with: 2 methyl side groups on C2 , another methyl group on C5 and a 4 carbon butyl group on C6. Does this then make the first choice correct? NO!!. IUPAC has strict rules about naming these molecules: Thefirst step is to count the longest chain. If you start with C1 at the left, you count along to C6 and then you turn 90° down and continue to the end of the side chain. This is 10 carbon long chain. Therefore the compound must be a decane, with some side chains. You have: 2 methyl groups on C2 1methyl group on C5 1 propyl group on C6 If you put this together you have: 2,2,5 trimethyl 6 - propyl - decane Is this one of your choices?YES choice b .So that is your answer. The whole secret of naming these compounds is to find the longest chain.You must drawout the molecule. Edit later: when I looked at my published answer I found that the bonds between the C6 carbon and its H and the butyl side chain did not appear. lese add these in your self

• bfalls
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The point being?

I'm not going to inflict a pointless dictionary dump on your or other readers and will instead give one example each from several categories as the OED breaks them down:

- "general etymological element": "tetrapolar" and maybe 50 more words.

- names of chemicals: "tetrachloride" and about 20 more.

- chemical adjectives: "tetraboric" and others derived from the above names.

- chemical verbs: "tetrachlorinated" and others derived from the above names.

- individual dictionary words: tetragram, tetragrammaton, tetrahedron, etc., etc.

Source(s): Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM v. 3.1, s.v. "tetra-" and words listed above.
  • 1 decade ago

Tetrahedron, Tetrad,Tetrapod,Tetralogy,Tetrarchy

you can find some at http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_Words_that...

Source(s): wikianswers.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.