Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

Why are male comedians funnier than female comedians? (stand up comedians)?

why are their more male comedians than female? now I am of course talking about stand up comedians, their are hilarious female acting comedians like sarah silverman and that one woman from mean girls that I forgot the name of. but I'm talking about stand up comedians.

why do you think that is?

now you can go ahead and call me sexist for making an honest observance.

it's also inevitable that every single comment will recieve 2 or 3 thumbs downs because everyone will call everyone else a sexist.

furthermore, when i say "so, why do you think that is?" I'm not implying anything! I'm asking a question, not spreading the idea that women are weak and useless.

goddammit people on the internet are so f*cking touchy

now that I've gone completely off topic trying to clarify myself to the internet that is filled with idiots, why are male stand up comedians funnier than female stand up comedians?

Favorite Answer

I'm a woman, but even I can admit this: female comedians AREN'T funny. There is such a thing as funny women, hell, I have some hysterical friends, but somehow it seems that when women try to do stand-up it's all raunch and no substance

• JM

I don't think you're sexist for saying that. I agree with you. I find more men funny than women. That being said, I saw an extremely talented comedian (a woman) live and she was awesome. I wish I could remember her name now, but that is the only time I have found a woman hilarious. I do find Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Seinfeld) funny, but overall men seem to be the funnier ones as comedians and I'm still unsure of why that is. Maybe people secretly think of women as the more sensible ones in society. In my opinion, boys are given more permission to act sillier than girls as children. Parents expect boys to act rowdy, but expect young girls to behave cute and well-mannered. That behaviour could translate into adulthood too. Maybe people think guys naturally act goofier than women and so on a stage they are taken more seriously as comedians. It's a good question you asked.

I think it's becoming much less the case these days, because it's less EXPECTED that women won't be funny. They're sort of more allowed to be funny than they used to be, and it will become more so.

Also, see Maria Bamford. She is freaking hilarious. There are a bunch of them.

There's one thing that I think might be a factor, though... even though some women love being the center of attention and so on, the nature of men and women and the way they relate is that women are more the choosers, and men are more trying to DO things to compete for her attention and be chosen, so guys (and not to get too far out, but this is actually, in biology, considered the general truth regarding male vs. female in all sexually reproducing species) become more creatures that are all about sort of "doing tricks," acting out, performing... which includes trying to be funny.

We probably get more practice.

YOU SEXIST PIG

lol just kidding!!! :) I'm a girl and I totally agree with you!! I find guys much more funny than women (stand up) I think maybe because stand up comedy is more "raw" than in film and women are the "fairer sex" so it's just funnier to see a guy. If that makes sense...it's like I know the answer, but can't explain it proper lol

Whoopie is funnier than Eddie Murphy, but both are funny. At least the name Whoopie is funny enough and I like her laugh and wit. Funny is all equal opportunity

I think maybe women are still being judged on appearance even in this era and I notice they seem to feel more uncomfortable and the always seem to pick on themselves, like Jo Brand.

Many female comics tend to use material central to being a women, which may or may not be funny to the entire viewing audience.

it's funny you mention Silverman, since she tends to use a less than feminine routine.

Well, girls are usually very serious and you know...party poopers. Well most of my babefriends are like that (not like in a lesbian way). But I'm pretty funny :)

I'm the craziest, weirdest girl in the school.

It's a good title to have. You're asked to perform jokes sometimes. It gets annoying.

• M ♡

LMAO! I love how you gradually grew more and more off topic as your question went on.

No offense.

But I agree that male stand up comics are way funnier. I don't know why.

Tina Fey?

I agree with you that people on the Internet are touchy.

As for your question, I think males connect more with the audience than females do....Not sure why.

But I LOVE Jeff Dunham.