Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Do you agree that fundamentally, Conservatives are better people than Liberals? Why or why not?

- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Brooks demonstrates a correlation between charitable behavior and "the values that lie beneath" liberal and conservative labels. Two influences on charitable behavior are religion and attitudes about the proper role of government.

The single biggest predictor of someone's altruism, Willett says, is religion. It increasingly correlates with conservative political affiliations because, as Brooks' book says, "the percentage of self-described Democrats who say they have 'no religion' has more than quadrupled since the early 1970s." America is largely divided between religious givers and secular nongivers, and the former are disproportionately conservative. One demonstration that religion is a strong determinant of charitable behavior is that the least charitable cohort is a relatively small one -- secular conservatives.

Best Answer

-- Proof.

-- Proof.

-- Proof.

-- Proof.

-- Proof.

-- Proof.

Also no, and here's why.

A few years ago a group of very conservative, Eastern Orthodox Christians took over the student government at my college campus. They passed anti-gay legislation and watched as people begged them to not, crying at the mike, and they would just laugh. They spent thousands of dollars illegally. We ran against them and they made up lies about us just to try and sway votes.

Now are ALL conservatives that bad? No. We had a conservative on the council that ran against them. But that's still 1 to 17 ratio of good to bad.

Also your post insinuates that (A) because conservatives MIGHT give more, this clearly means liberals don't give at all and (B) giving to charity automatically makes you good. Guess what champ. It doesn't. I've met countless people who are horrible, awful people, who hate for no reason and use religion to try to make themselves look good, and charity to them is just a button they can us to go "LOOK I'M AWESOME! I'M GOING TO HEAVEN AND YOU'RE NOT!" Hell, you're doing it right now. Going "LOOK CONSERVATIVES ARE BETTER THAN LIBERALS HAHAHA!" Charity means nothing when you're only DOING it to make yourself look good.

• Depends on the person. I know a few conservatives and liberals equally who could use a good a@@ whoopin'

No, most I know had a mean dad growing up or other kind of traumatic event where nobody was there to help them and most seem to only give for the acknowledgment that they gave like in a gathering place where people see them give.

Fundamentally has nothing to do with. They are far better people across the full spectrum.

my conservative dad beat my liberal mom. where's the love? I don't feel it.

Yes. They actually have a moral code they live by, they have discipline and charity

liberals only care about making themselves feel good

liberals have always liked to spend others money.they always know how to spend it better than you.

• Bob

NO, they're worse!

bad bad bad bad bad bad

BAD