Should they change parts of the UCMJ?

I ask this because in some of punishments of a crime it is death. Yet the only one I have ever heard of was Pvt during WW 2. Yet the punishment remains on the books when none are carried out. Imprisonment for life maybe instead of death. There have been crimes that require the death Fort Hood comes to mind. So... show more I ask this because in some of punishments of a crime it is death. Yet the only one I have ever heard of was Pvt during WW 2. Yet the punishment remains on the books when none are carried out. Imprisonment for life maybe instead of death. There have been crimes that require the death Fort Hood comes to mind. So could/should it be changed?
Update: I can understand it can be used as a last resort but they will not use it and have not for many years. unlike the states on and off again with it.