Ghost asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 10 years ago

What is a civil danger warning mean when it has to do with weather?

I just checked the weather station where I live & it has posted a red civil danger warning.

Yes am getting the blizzard. I live in Wisconsin kind of close to Illinois border. Just looked outside, everything looks to be getting buried out there. Even before things get bad the school board called everyone saying school would be closed (hadn't planned on taking my children anyhow just in case it would be worse).

Favorite Answer

I'm in Southern Wisconsin and channel 15 news just said that it means that you are being strongly urged not to travel. In the event that you need assistance (police, medical etc.), it may not be able to get to you. You're traveling at your own risk. At 4 am, Rock County had 70 stranded vehicles, Madison had 130+ and Milwaukee shut down I-43 and I-94 to the IL border due to stranded vehicles that they can't get to. They activated the National Guard and the DNR for help. In other words, it's a fancy way of stay off the roads.

Civil Danger Warning

• Amy

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/gqDuP

Jarod and the midnight raider are both partly right and a lot wrong. The EAS or Emergency Alert System was established by the FCC to replace the old EBS, Emergency Broadcast System to better serve the public by warning of many things. Severe weather, avalanche, tsunami, tornado's, freezes, 911 system outages, and civil alerts are just some. Later we added the AMBER alerts for abducted children. Each radio station is required to test once a week and once a month the primary stations in each area must test and then the others must relay to show the system works. The national weather service is also active in it's transmitters on this system in most areas. the station you were listening to screwd up by not sending the bursts. The minimum test is three data bursts followed by three more end of message bursts. If it's the real thing there will be about 8 secnds of a very irritating two tone before an announcement. No actual announcement is required for a test although many do that. The data bursts contain the information on originator, type of test or actual alert, duration and time of activation. The actual alerts can be originated by many different sources, depending on the state plan. Here in Nevada all alerts on the state level must go through the state police, but on the local level, emergency managers, fire chiefs and police chiefs can originate (or their designated assistants). The National Weather service can originate weather warnings. The president can originate a message and that is tested once per year, but not relayed to the public. It is a system to alert to impending danger and not some news flash thing, thus it was not used during 911 since there was no warning. It is being improved regularly and works well when supported by the local broadcasters.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): civil danger warning weather: https://tr.im/iNsLf

I was wondering the same thing. I live in Northwestern Milwaukee I heard the broadcast system go off on my cable box around 12:55 to 12:58 a.m. every this morning and I saw that the background was red and in water letters it said "Civil Danger Warning" I never saw anything like this. Then it was on FOX 6 the red decoder come on the top of the screen at 1:00 a.m. and it kept going off every other hour. I don't think that Civil Danger Warning is weather related.

Civil Danger Warning (CDW) A warning of an event that presents a danger to a significant civilian population. The CDW, which usually warns of a specific hazard and gives specific protective action, has a higher priority than the Local Area Emergency (LAE). Examples include contaminated water supply and imminent or in-progress military or terrorist attack. Public protective actions could include evacuation, shelter in place, or other actions (such as boiling contaminated water or seeking medical treatment).

Source(s): Live in Madison part time, Oshkosh part time =]

The EAS is a system that every community in the US is required to have. It is operated usually by the local POlice departmenty. They can over-ride every local radio signal to let people who are listening to the radio know that there is an Emergency, usually severe weather, that they might be endagered by. Every station has to test their system on I believe a monthly basis. It usually includes a high pitched , extended beep, to get the listeners attention. If it is a test there ususally is a silent period, and then the message this weas a test in the cae of an actual emergency you would hav ereceived instructions...." Nothing to worry about. Its just the FCC making suree staitons are keepin g up their equipment.

It merely means that weather conditions in your area are such that they could produce a severe weather condition which could be dangerous to people. It could mean a flash flood watch, a blizzard warning or even a high wind advisory.

• My guesses that sustained winds of 45 mph or more, whiteout conditions, and dangerous wind chills (-25 below or lower), might be responsible for the civil danger warning.

I am about 45 min from Milwaukee and have the same blizzard and was wondering the same thing. Glad someone else asked it. Hope everyone stays indoors and stays safe!