"Ils nous ont" Can someone explain this? (French)?

When someone says: "Ils nous ont servi du poulet," It means, "They served us chicken"

Now, I'm not quite understanding the format of the sentence. Since when do "Ils" and "Nous" come together in a sentence? What category does this fit into ? (ie: Subjunctive, Pass Compose, Passe Simple etc.. )

Why not just say: Ils (conjugated "Servir")

I'm sure my tecahers went over it a few years ago in class, but I'm just not remembering why "Nous" and "Ils" are coming together, and why "Servir," is conjugated to "Servi" in this particular statement.

Thanks!

Thanks for your great answer! It was very hard to comprehend! :)

Favorite Answer

You have produced a fine example showing how different languages work.

While you and any other Englush speaking person think:

subject-predicate-object They served chicken the French think in another way:

Their think: They- us - have served- of (all the available) chicken .

Both they and you had your chicken as a result of the same procedure but

the way they say it is somewhat more sophisticated:

To express the result of an action (you aren't hungry any longer): (avoir=have) +servi,

you could do it as well, they have served . They say so: Ils.......ont servi .

But the person who is the hungry object is number one in restaurant

and if you speak of a group it us "nous" ="us" and it is being put right between

the subject "Ils"= They and the action "(Ils) NOUS (we are the people having

been served) ...ont servi ...Now what=what is it we get? all the chicken France has to

provide? No,It is more logical to indicate that one is only served (or:one only has)

=> A PART OF THE AMOUNT OF SOMETHING FRANCE HAS AVAILABLE<=

(You never have ALL of France's cheese,but alway only "du fromage

((du=de+le=du)) de+la= de la) or just <de>

They -us-have served- ( of (the available) chicken.) Two other situations:

He-me-has given-(of (the available) cheese.

Il me a donné du fromage.

To learn this irregularity I have my students learn this strangely sounding and

therefore not easily being forgotten )=>irregular way in MY OWN language.

As to grammar:The grammatical tense is formally adequate with your own:

present perfect. But the French use it to describe all the actions that have already

happened, with verbs describing actions. With situations such as "The sun was

shining" the use another form, the imparfait [[rough,rough rule: no last letter spoken]]

that is no /t/ in <Le soleil brillait> (The sun was shining)

Foeign languges "work" in the heads of their native speakers not in the same way as

our language. We have to understand this (Germans would speak-because they think so:

"We have this to understand" and Russians: <Us necessary understand this.>

Well it is a scan for the period of our lifestyles in the world. He needs to look if after we are left utterly on our possess by means of religion, what's going to we do? Only the worst of the worst will reside in hell without end. Christ taught the spirits in jail among his loss of life and and his resurrection, so there ought to be a few wish for many who have been disobedient on the time of Noah. Also David, who dedicated Adultery, a forgiveable sin and homicide, a non forgiveable sin, was once very repentent All the ones Psalms he wrote crying out for forgiveness. He was once promised his soul could no longer be left in hell. The bible talks approximately three levels of Glory. Most Christians loathe this, however it's reasonable. The maximum measure has two stages Celestial. The core heaven is very similar to the Garden of Eden and a entire bunch of beautiful well humans will likely be there. Then even the bottom is probably not any worse than what we have now in the world in these days. Judgement will come after the Millenium, one thousand years of peace wherein Christ will rule. No crime, no loss of life, no ailment. All well humans will likely be there. There most likely will likely be a few who aren't Christian, considering the fact that it says earlier than the tip of the Millenium, each knee will bow, each tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ. I feel there's extra wish than a few church buildings provide. One different clue is God mentioned. "This is my paintings and my Glory to convey to go the immortality and everlasting lifetime of Man." He goes to do the whole lot he can to get us again in his realm. He is our Father and is style and loving.