What's you reputation of Motor Sport?

I would like to ask a questionnaire to help me with a project of mine, the main aim to answer the question above.

First of all, how dangerous do you think Motor Sport is?

Do you like Motor Sport? And why?

Do you think being a racing driver is very hard? Needs a lot of skill? Or easy?

What do you think about the sex of the racing driver/fan/engineer? e.g, what do you think about women with the boards up next to the cars on the grid?

What do you think about Motor Sport games, do they give the impression of how easy/hard it is? Do they encourage young racing drivers?

Do you know the cost of racing at all levels? What do you know about this?

Do you think it's hard to get into Motor Sport?

Do you think getting into high-end championships (e.g F1) is luck with teams, skill or a bit of both?

How do you compare Motor Sport to other sports?

Do you respect Motor Sport?

Do you respect racing drivers/engineers?

Do you think the cost of watching Motor Sport at the track is reasonable?

And ultimately, what is you reputation of motor sport? (Optional) Add what you want here.

I have not completely started my project much yet so these question have really just come out of my head. I want inspiration for what I'm going to do next, so I might add another questionnaire with more detail and thought. Thank you for everyone who has answered and helped me with this.

Update:

Edit: Last question does not make sense. What I meant to say was:

What do you think of the reputation of Motor Sport? (should be title question too!)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's extremely dangerous. It's deadly dangerous. People die. All the safety improvements in the world cannot counter bad luck.

Yes, I love motorsport. My father is a rally driver and I grew up around cars. Nowadays I navigate for him and we watch racing (NASCAR and F1 and sometimes Australian V8Supercars) on TV.

EASY? What kind of moron would ever think it's EASY? It's extremely difficult and requires a high level of concentration and fitness.

What do you think about the sex of the racing driver/fan/engineer? e.g, what do you think about women with the boards up next to the cars on the grid?

I er....don't understand this question, I'm sorry. I think the women with the boards are unneccesary. I think women could be F1 drivers if they want (although I love Webber's opinion on why there are so few women in F1: "they're not stupid enough to do this!"). If a male driver happens to be good-looking, I'm not opposed to that ;)

What do you think about Motor Sport games, do they give the impression of how easy/hard it is? Do they encourage young racing drivers?

They don't give an accurate impression of how hard it is to race. Nothing ever will. Certainly they encourage young racing drivers. Every driver on the Formula 1 grid owns a copy of F12010 so they can drive the tracks and get familiar with them.

Hugely expensive. There's no one definitive figure. But this is the best example: "How do you make a small fortune out of motor racing? Start with a large one!"

Define. It is a little harder nowadays, with everything being so expensive, the strictest safety stuff now heading all the way down to clubman, and the greenies demanding everything.

Do you think getting into high-end championships (e.g F1) is luck with teams, skill or a bit of both?

Both. Hamilton got lucky. Vettel got lucky. They were picked up early by driver development programs and gift-wrapped competitive cars. Alonso and Webber worked hard on their own but of course there was a bit of luck involved.

You can't, really.

Of course.

Absolutely.

No. I'm going to the Australian Grand Prix this year (as I did the last two years) and the ticket is ridiculous. Granted, I'm going grandstand for all four days - but it's $415. That's insane.

What do you think of the reputation of Motor Sport?

I think it's struggling a little nowadays. The economic crisis did nothing to help, but all the climate change alarmists seem intent on killing motorsport and the governments are letting them. There's also the problem of young drivers being idiots on the roads, and motorsport gets a lot of blame for that.

• 9 years ago

I love motor sport because its completely different from any other sport in the world. I don't think motor sport is that dangerous, but in the 50's-70's it was extremely dangerous. Fatal modern day accidents don't occur very often. Racing a car is very difficult, its much harder than driving your road car and you can't let any guy loose in a Formula 1 car for example. I'm a PS3 nerd and I'm pretty sure the handling and things on race games aren't close to how hard it can be in real life. Getting into motor sport needs cash, and to be a Formula 1 driver needs cash and skill. Hope any of this helps.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Dangerous? You can get dead driving a race car.

Yes. It's driver vs. driver vs. car vs. car.

It's very hard to be a great driver. You need that last 1% of balls the other guys don't have.

I could care less what sex the engineer is. Pit girls? Eye candy.

They're games,that's all.

Yes I do and it takes a sh!tload of money to go fast.

Hard? No,just know the right person. Or have your Dad own a chain of hardware stores.(See Paul Menard)

Both. That and someone with the cash to buy you a seat.

Doesn't compare.

Yes.

Yes.

Depends on where you want to go. The infield at Daytona used to be cheaper and a lot nicer than the Disney World monstrosity they have now.

On the whole,not bad. Some things F1 is doing make me want to choke Bernie. And I'd love 15 minutes alone in a room with Brian France.

• 9 years ago

Much safer than it used to be, but still very dangerous.

Love it. My dad used to be a rally driver so was brought up around cars

To be good is very hard and needs a lot of skill

I'm fine with it. It is more about the skill of the driver rather than the gender.

They are a lot of fun for us fans, but are a lot easier than it is in real life.

Very expensive at higher levels. Needs to be paid for by advertisers rather than the actual drivers.

Easy to get in to the lower levels of racing, but gets harder the higher up you go.

A bit of everything, but mostly it is about actual skill I think

Much better, other sports are boring compares to motor racing.

Yes

Yes

Mostly, top end like F1 is far too expensive but most others are fairly reasonable

And ultimately, what is you reputation of motor sport?

Don't understand this one :/

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

As a junior driver trying to become a professional, i could answer your question

Motorsports has had enourmous leaps in track, staff, and vehicle safety, but at the end of the day, is still quite dangerous. in modern times, statistics show that the racing has fewer deaths and injuries than the public roads.

Motorsports has been my passion for my entire life. The speed, sound, talent, energy, and benefit for the average person's day to day life (personal car) dwarfs any other sport, period.

It is incredibly difficult, but very rewarding. Most drivers race for the passion of the sport, and are not interested in the money, but you can be incredibly successful if you do it right. Yes, it needs a lot of skill. It also requires timing, luck, commitment, and lots of money to get started.

Well, i don't mean to seem rude here, but to answer this, i ask: what about the cheerleaders in football, basketball. etc? its the same thing. It isn't sexist, and there's nothing wrong with it. position boards is actually an understatement to the football equivalents.

They are great fun, but do not promote an ideal image of racing. Games portray it as very easy, and quick to make it high up in the racing ladder, when the truth is the polar opposite.

Many junior racing formula's (FBMW, FFord, F2000, etc) cost between $30 000, and $200 000 per season. semi-pro formula's (F3, Star Mazda, Indy Lights, etc) can cost a driver nothing if they have proven talent, or between 0.5 million, to 1 million a season if its a pay ride. Professional open wheel drivers make up to 20 million per year in Formula 1. Touring cars, and sports cars can cost between $20 000 per season, to 2 million if its a semi-pro, or pay to race ride. Drivers can make between $50 000 to 0.5 million per season, depending on the discipline, and team.

Yes, it is very hard. you need to have a passion burning inside you to go anywhere in racing.

Its a combination of everything, but the 2 most important factors are money, and talent. without those, you will go nowhere.

Motor sports is the only sport which can offer you improved technology to improve your quality of life, and there is a great deal of talent, commitment, and skill. All racing drivers work like mad to become professionals, and since scholarships are almost unheard of. Because of this, you will never hear of a driver getting free ride to the top, which is the case in 90% of all other sports.

more than anything else in the world.

the vast majority of them, yes i do.

the price is too low, which as a result means that tracks need to charge more for registration fees, and this contributes to drivers needing to pay to race. Its not the sole contributing factor, but it is an issue. its estimated that 30% of today's professional drivers are pay drivers, when the number should be 0%.

And ultimately, what is you reputation of motor sport? (Optional) Add what you want here.

I think that it is slowly losing its good reputation over many unneccacary scandals, like:

Max Mosley's Nazi Sex party.

constant barrage of rule changes that fans, teams, tracks, and drivers despise.

driver strike on the team budget cap of winter 2008.

Bernie Eccelstone's disregard for fans wishes when making rule changes/ track desisions (sanctoning, etc.).

all in all though, its good for society, entertainment, and pleasure.

Source(s): 3 years of car racing experience
  • 3 years ago

arguing back & forth about a topic you do no longer comprehend about... get your licence... purchase a motorbike.. stumble on information on a thanks to journey.. go by a series of motorcycles over the subsequent ten years... from 100cc scooters to 1000cc activities motorcycles. throw in some custom motorcycles & a cruiser or 2.. by potential of then you actual will easily have an theory & perchance even comprehend what your talking about.. activities motorcycles out boost up.. brake.. nook any chopper form bike.. its merely the nature of the beast activities motorcycles have a larger excellent p.c... & relying on the gasoline tank would have a smaller or larger variety...the chopper would very last more .. as in existence of the engine because its a lot less lower than pressure.. yet that does count on the chopper & the position the oil p.c.. up for the engine is... considered some choppers lock up the engine because the oil runs to the back of the sump & would not get pumped round like it would.... will say one component about " american motorcycles" they do carry there cost.. yet i do no longer purchase motorcycles to promote later.. i purchase them to journey..

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well i grew up drag racing on a drag strip. which is all about reaction time and a bit of guessing. sorces are NHRA but i was in the IHRA. It wasnt easy... and well.. it was about old muscle cars. pretty interesting. search some about it its pretty cool. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.