British English or American English, which came first?

Don't judge me because I'm only fourteen, but did British English come first and then Americans just changed some words. I'm really curious as to why? The reason is because I was reading a book about an American girl with a British boyfriend, he said (as he was walking to the car) something along the... show more Don't judge me because I'm only fourteen, but did British English come first and then Americans just changed some words. I'm really curious as to why? The reason is because I was reading a book about an American girl with a British boyfriend, he said (as he was walking to the car) something along the lines as, "Put this in your boot." The American was confused and looked at his feet and for a moment I was confused too because I forgot that Americans call it a "trunk". Anyway, I'm kind of getting off topic. I'm Australian and we spell and pronouce similarly like the British, so why didn't Americans do the same--why choose to complicate it? For example, Americans call it a sidewalk, but British call it a pavement, but Australians (at least I do) call it a pathway. How did Americans come up with sweater when it was originally called jumper--two very different words. Hmm, I'm babbling so... just an informative answer would be great. I've never been a history buff but I'm really interested in this.
Thanks for answering. :D
20 answers 20