what do you think about putting up a nuclear power plant in Cebu, Philippines?

It's one of the things they're planning to do there and our physics teacher said to people what they think about it.

Update:

Sure, you might think your opinion doesn't matter, but she asked for people's opinions, so go ahead! answer the question, all i need is your opinion, it's quite simple, really.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why would it matter what I think on this?

Look into the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power compared to the alternatives.

• 10 years ago

What I think is hardly important.

there are a few problems that have never been solved.

The biggest is all the problems of waste.

A second one is to do with the calibre of the people who run a plant.

Early reactors were run by scientists. They were run carefully and conservatively because there was no need to make a profit. They lost a lot of money but were supported by governments for military and medical reasons.

But a commercial reactor must pay. There is always pressure to cut costs and hence cut safety.

Look up Chernobyl and three mile island if you like.

The waste products are a serious threat. Perhaps a serious threat to all life on earth.

They are radioactive and poisonous and some last for tens of thousands of years.

So unless we can do a lot better than we do with plastic bags, old cars, tv sets and the like this is a very dangerous path to be following.

• 10 years ago

I don't think it is a good idea. Consider the factors it takes to have a nuclear powerplant (including biodiversity).

• 10 years ago

I think it will make an excellent target when the Islamic fundamentalists make their move on the Philippines.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Great idea but I think it would be better if it were put in Mindanao to fast-track development there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.