what do you think about putting up a nuclear power plant in Cebu, Philippines?

It's one of the things they're planning to do there and our physics teacher said to people what they think about it.

Sure, you might think your opinion doesn't matter, but she asked for people's opinions, so go ahead! answer the question, all i need is your opinion, it's quite simple, really.

Favorite Answer

Why would it matter what I think on this?

Look into the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power compared to the alternatives.

.

What I think is hardly important.

there are a few problems that have never been solved.

The biggest is all the problems of waste.

A second one is to do with the calibre of the people who run a plant.

Early reactors were run by scientists. They were run carefully and conservatively because there was no need to make a profit. They lost a lot of money but were supported by governments for military and medical reasons.

But a commercial reactor must pay. There is always pressure to cut costs and hence cut safety.

Look up Chernobyl and three mile island if you like.

The waste products are a serious threat. Perhaps a serious threat to all life on earth.

They are radioactive and poisonous and some last for tens of thousands of years.

So unless we can do a lot better than we do with plastic bags, old cars, tv sets and the like this is a very dangerous path to be following.

I don't think it is a good idea. Consider the factors it takes to have a nuclear powerplant (including biodiversity).

I think it will make an excellent target when the Islamic fundamentalists make their move on the Philippines.

• keerok

Great idea but I think it would be better if it were put in Mindanao to fast-track development there.