What do you think of Once Were Warriors?

I think it's good, but it's so bad.

What do you think?

Update:

Never heard of it?! Crazy.

I know Alan Duff's daughter, the most arrogant, stuck up person I've ever met and I'm not even exaggerating.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

The Iconic "Jake The Muss", perhaps a possible role model for all the wrong reasons, there were some shocking scenes, the cook me sum f****n eggs scene was horrific.

Kudos to Rena Owen who played her role brilliantly I reckon.

Not 100% sure if I have the right interpretation of the message from that movie though.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Once Were Warriors (Lee Tamahori - 1994) is a brilliant film and very significant for the now strong New Zealand film industry. It was the first New Zealand film to gain real international acclaim, and received a standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. It think it has powerful imagery and goes some way to show live in New Zealand. The iconic opening shot, which pans from a billboard of "clean green New Zealand" to gritty South Auckland was shocking to many. Although, it is worth remembering that this is not a completely accurate display of NZ or Maori culture as a whole. Also the ending of the book is significantly different to that of the film. Both are equally moving and slightly disturbing.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The movie was initially hard for me to watch, I'd heard about it, all my friends were talking about it, but when I went to see it I found it very confronting. It took me 10 years to actually watch the movie through.

• 9 years ago

The film was so very hard to watch because of it's emotional content (poor Gracie!).

I struggled to read the book because there was such an absolutely superfluous amount of profanity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It was one of the saddest movies about a wonderful people brought down by the white man.

These proud people reduced to drunken, warring, brutality was more than a social comment about the Maori, it was a disgrace for all pakehas in New Zealand. And I am one, too.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The book was pretty good, didn't think much of the movie. Very interesting social comment though and true to life.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I thought it was a very well made movie but majorly depressing and hard to watch. I wouldn't watch it again to be honest.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Horrible movie. Just horrible.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I must be the only Kiwi that hasn't seen the movie

• 9 years ago

well made movie. Sad that people in Nz are living in the same situation.

Source(s): me a kiwi
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.