What do you think of Once Were Warriors?

I think it's good, but it's so bad.

What do you think?

Never heard of it?! Crazy.

I know Alan Duff's daughter, the most arrogant, stuck up person I've ever met and I'm not even exaggerating.

Best Answer

The Iconic "Jake The Muss", perhaps a possible role model for all the wrong reasons, there were some shocking scenes, the cook me sum f****n eggs scene was horrific.

Kudos to Rena Owen who played her role brilliantly I reckon.

Not 100% sure if I have the right interpretation of the message from that movie though.

Once Were Warriors (Lee Tamahori - 1994) is a brilliant film and very significant for the now strong New Zealand film industry. It was the first New Zealand film to gain real international acclaim, and received a standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. It think it has powerful imagery and goes some way to show live in New Zealand. The iconic opening shot, which pans from a billboard of "clean green New Zealand" to gritty South Auckland was shocking to many. Although, it is worth remembering that this is not a completely accurate display of NZ or Maori culture as a whole. Also the ending of the book is significantly different to that of the film. Both are equally moving and slightly disturbing.

The movie was initially hard for me to watch, I'd heard about it, all my friends were talking about it, but when I went to see it I found it very confronting. It took me 10 years to actually watch the movie through.

The film was so very hard to watch because of it's emotional content (poor Gracie!).

I struggled to read the book because there was such an absolutely superfluous amount of profanity.

It was one of the saddest movies about a wonderful people brought down by the white man.

These proud people reduced to drunken, warring, brutality was more than a social comment about the Maori, it was a disgrace for all pakehas in New Zealand. And I am one, too.

The book was pretty good, didn't think much of the movie. Very interesting social comment though and true to life.

I thought it was a very well made movie but majorly depressing and hard to watch. I wouldn't watch it again to be honest.

Horrible movie. Just horrible.

I must be the only Kiwi that hasn't seen the movie

well made movie. Sad that people in Nz are living in the same situation.

Source(s): me a kiwi