Landlord made me pay rent during apartment reconstruction when it was uninhabitable, is this against the law?

I live in an apartment in Pullman and it is now a 1 bedroom. This past summer it got remodeled from a two bedroom into a one bedroom and while the apartment was getting remodeled my landlord made me pay for it. Rent is $530 a month, and it was uninhabitable for two months; sawdust everywhere and all of my... show more I live in an apartment in Pullman and it is now a 1 bedroom. This past summer it got remodeled from a two bedroom into a one bedroom and while the apartment was getting remodeled my landlord made me pay for it. Rent is $530 a month, and it was uninhabitable for two months; sawdust everywhere and all of my belongings in the kitchen. It ended up costing me $960 while I was not living there. I also had to pay $780 to live elsewhere. There was damage done to the walls before the remodel but nothing my security deposit couldn't have covered. I was wondering what people think about this, should I get my money back. I live in the state of Washington and go to school at WSU so I could really use this money. Thanks for any opinions.
Update: @Ben How do you think she would be able to make my life a living hell? (It's a she). I'm not living here beginning June 1st, and if anything she is the one that made a mistake in charging me a fee. I don't know how she would be able to make my life a living hell without breaking the law.
Update 2: @thewayiseeit , basically I was really busy with school and work, ya I should have never paid for it I realize that now, I plan on consulting the fair housing committee here in town and seeing what my options are from there. Ideally I would like to have the money applied from the months I wasn't living there on... show more @thewayiseeit , basically I was really busy with school and work, ya I should have never paid for it I realize that now, I plan on consulting the fair housing committee here in town and seeing what my options are from there. Ideally I would like to have the money applied from the months I wasn't living there on paying for the next two months of rent.