Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did St.Peter or St. Paul spread the catholic church?

Ok was it ST.Peter thats in the gate of heaven?? And was St.Paul the one that spread the Catholic religion? And i don't want the answer''Neither'' ok? My teacher made that same mistake!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Both.

According to the four Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles, about the year 33 C.E., the structure of the Church was set up by Jesus Christ before His Ascension and then the early Christian Church was born on Pentecost when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles and disciples.

This same Church has referred to itself as the “Catholic Church” at least since 107 C.E. (about 10 years after the last book of the New Testament was written), when the Greek term "Katholikos" (meaning universal) appears in the Letter of St. Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans:

"Wherever the bishop appear, there let the multitude be; even as wherever Christ Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church."

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/ignatiu...

We do not know how long they had been using the term "Catholic" before it was included in this rare surviving letter.

All of this was long before the Council of Nicea and the Nicene Creed from 325 C.E. which states, "We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07644a.htm

With love in Christ.

• Daver
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

<<Did St.Peter or St. Paul spread the catholic church?>>

Both.

<<Ok was it ST.Peter thats in the gate of heaven??>>

That's pop-cultures idea of Saint Peter having been given the Keys of Binding Authority of the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth by Jesus.

<<And was St.Paul the one that spread the Catholic religion?>>

Again, BOTH saints Peter and Paul spread Catholicism.

<<And i don't want the answer''Neither'' ok? My teacher made that same mistake!>>

Your teacher said neither had anything to do with spreading Catholicism? Scary!

• 1 decade ago

Paul as an apostle to the gentiles was sent to Rome as a prisoner - taught there- and was later beheaded there

peter was based in Jerusalem and was an apostle to the Jews .

neither had any thing to do with the organization known as the roman catholic church and both taught things which are fully disobeyed by same said organization.

since then the roman catholic church does not follow the teachings of either peter nor Paul one can only conclude that it was spread by some one else - being a roman emperor and not a true believer in the Christ which peter and paul preached . .

• 1 decade ago

The Holy Spirit did.

read: pentecost.

http://www.newadvent.org/bible/act002.htm#vrs5

(here)

And when the days of the Pentecost were accomplished, they were all together in one place; 2 and suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a mighty wind coming, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared to them parted tongues, as it were of fire, and it sat upon every one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they began to speak with divers tongues, according as the Holy Ghost gave them to speak.

...perhaps your question should then be: who was more filled with that Holy Spirit: Peter or Paul? These two saints share a feast day in the church. So I couldn't tell you. The only other saints that I know who share a feast day is Josephat and Barlaam, the people who actually were the subject of the Jakata tales regarding Buddha.

http://www.magnificat.ca/cal/engl/06-29.htm

also this

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Neither!

Peter and Paul's church operated in the power of the Holy Spirit. They were baptized with power and prayed in tongues. They had many miracles, signs and wonders in their services. The catholic church rarely see this now a days. So how can we say this is the church that was started by Peter and Paul? It isn't. It is written in the book of Acts. They operated in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and lived by faith. Following a religion kills faith. Faith isn't necessary if you follow rituals, and memorize prayers. How is your faith needed?

* The bible tells us that the righteous shall live by faith. That means everyday.

~ROMANS 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall [live by faith].

If we are told what to do, when to do it and how to do it then there is no faith needed. I am trying to help people see that we need to live in more faith. Sure we need faith to believe that Jesus died for us but it should be a "daily need" to be in faith. Not just once in a week to take the eucharist.

When Jesus said he would build his church on this "rock". That didn't mean Peter. The rock equals the revelation that Peter revealed to Jesus about him being the Son of the living God.

The ROCK = revelation of who Jesus is. Those who believe Jesus as the Son of the living God will be his church.

~MATTHEW 16: And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the [Son of the living God].

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and [upon this rock I will build my church]; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

God bless you!

• 1 decade ago

CATHOLIC: Where did the word originate? It comes from the Greek word Katholikos, which was later Latinized into Catholicus.

It means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is neccessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time.

It is totally biblical. It is in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world." That is a statement of Universality, Katholicos, Catholicus, Catholic.

Rom. 1:8….and you belong to that Church whose faith St. Paul describes as being "proclaimed (KATanggeletai) in the whole universe (en HOLO to kosmo)”

Thus the word KATAHOLOS or Catholic in English originated from Scriptures - Romans 1:8

The first known recorded use of the word after all the Bible was enscripturated is in St. Ignatius of Antioch's letter to the Smyrneans, paragraph 8, of 106 A.D.,

"Where the Bishop appears, there let the people be, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."

Undoubtedly the word was in use before the time of this writing.

Written records of the term "CATHOLIC" describing a character of the Christian Church:

Ignatius, Letter to the Smyrneans 106AD;

Martyrdom of St. Polycarp 155AD;

Clement of Alexandria, Stromateis 202AD;

Cyprian, Unity of the Catholic Church 251AD;

Cyprian, Letter to Florentius, 254AD

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart... When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."

Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, 375 A.D.

“Peter, who is called 'the rock on which the church should be built,' who also obtained 'the keys of the kingdom of heaven...'”

Tertullian, On the Prescription Against the Heretics, 22 (c. A.D. 200).

“And Peter, on whom the Church of Christ is built, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail...” Origen, Commentary on John, 5:3 (A.D. 232).

“By this Spirit Peter spake that blessed word, 'Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' By this Spirit the rock of the Church was established.”

Hippolytus, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, 9 (ante A.D. 235).

“'...thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church' ... It is on him that he builds the Church, and to him that he entrusts the sheep to feed. And although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single Chair, thus establishing by his own authority the source and hallmark of the (Church's) oneness...If a man does not fast to this oneness of Peter, does he still imagine that he still holds the faith. If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he still confidence that he is in the Church?”

Cyprian, De Unitate Ecclesiae (Primacy text), 4 (A.D. 251).

“...folly of (Pope) Stephen, that he who boasts of the place of the episcopate, and contends that he holds the succession from Peter, on whom the foundation of the Church were laid...”

Firmilian, Epistle To Cyprian, Epistle 75(74):17(A.D. 256).

"See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."

Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Smyrneans, 8:2 (c. A.D. 110).

• 1 decade ago

read matthew 28:19, jesus said the 11 disciples , go therefore and make disciples of all nations , apostle means 'sent forth..'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.