Could America go into economic ruin and no longer exist within a week?

Ok I'm sure I've got my facts mixed up because I got them from my International Relations teacher and they just seem too horrible to be true. So someone please clear this up for me.

He says that the President of Egypt could be assassinated within the next 24 hours. If this happens Israel will invade Egypt within the next couple of days, the Suez Canal will be closed, making it impossible for oil to reach Europe and the United States. Oil will go up to $200 a barrel and gas will go to $20 a gallon. People won't be able to go to work so the electricity and water companies will close, food stores close, and everyone will kill each other over food and water until we are completely wiped out, thus America as a nation will no longer exist. This is Armageddon type stuff here. If it's true what should we do? Should we get a plane ticket and leave or what? Is it even true or does he have is facts wrong?

@bodhi:

You're right we get very little oil from the Middle East, in fact we only get %4.5 of our oil from there according to CNN, but %4.5 is enough to make gas prices to go from where they are now to $20.00 a gallon I believe...

• Bodhi
    Favorite Answer

Nonsense.

Why would Israel invade Egypt?

Why would Israel close the Suez Canal? If they did the US and western powers could use force to fix it.

Even without the Suez Canal stuff can still move around the horn of Africa.

The US gets very little oil from the middle east. Most of our oil comes from domestic sources and central and south America. Europe and Asia are most dependent on the middle east.

Even with a huge fuel shortage people will just walk, carpool, ride bikes, take public transport. In WWII there was almost no gas for civilians and yet production set all time records.

This is the silliest nonsense I've ever heard.

Edit- Yes, but even that wouldn't tear things apart. I've been around through crisis after crisis for 50 years and if there's one thing I've learned it's that we're incredibly resilient and there will always be another crisis next year.

I remember the 1970's oil embargo. You could only buy gas every other day and had to wait in line for hours and then only get 10 gallons. Went on for months like that and quickly became no big deal. We adapted. And although the economy was terrible then, it wasn't because of the oil shortage. It sucked before the embargo and didn't get any worse really because of it. After the embargo was lifted and we could get all the gas we wanted things still didn't improve until Ronald Reagan got elected and strong armed the Fed into lowering interest rates.

• mark

What's happening in Egypt is NOT good for America short term but Mubarak is in power only because of the military. That is not sustainable and supporting him (and other dictators) is not and was not a good idea.

I doubt that the suez canal will close as a result of the Egyptian uprising but it is possible. If the Suez canal closes, it will not be just America that is upset and military action to keep it open would not surprise me.

No. Your teacher is insane, one of the worst kind of alarmists. He should apply for a job on Fox News.

Most of your oil comes from Canada. (oil sands). In any case the other Arab countries with oil are not going to miss out on sales so they will keep it coming. Why would Israel invade? They have enough problems.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Why would Israel invade Egypt?

Why would anyone close the canal?

How could that possibly block oil transport. And if it did, why would anyone try? and what would those affected states do (e.g, wholly destroy anyone causing such trouble).

Your teacher has perhaps been smoking some wacky tobaccy. The scenario you describe is best played out only in that "teacher's" mind.

Your International Relations teacher is a loon.

Israel will invade an occupy Egypt ???

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

that 'teacher' is a complete idiot !

(for more than one reason)

sounds like something glenn beck would say

i think your teacher should write a script and start pitching it to production companies... as it sounds like a great movie in the making

• Tommy

That won't happen. You think we in Europe would sit back and let it play out that way?

not going to happen in a week