Lorelei asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 9 years ago

Some basic help for a clueless girl?

I'm twenty. I was afraid of wearing makeup for the longest time specifically because when I was younger, my mother always made me wear it and said I didn't look good without it (she didn't think anyone did, as far as I could tell). Everyone else I meet seems to think that I look great without makeup. I have some sort of block against it now, where I feel that I'm trying to show myself as different than I really am. My fiancé has been very helpful and supportive, and has tried to explain that although I needn't wear any makeup all the time, all I would be doing by wearing it is accentuating what already looks good. But why would I need to accentuate it? D: If it's not naturally accentuated, I don't see why I should try to make myself look like something I'm not.

Okay. So with that rant over. I need help from ladies who might know what I'm going through in this regard. I don't feel ugly without makeup. I feel fake with it on. Therefore, I have little experience putting it on, so on the rare occasions that I want to, I suck at it. I don't own eyeliner, or expensive face creams, so I feel slightly at a loss.

How can I make do just with what I have and who I am? :)

Best Answer

Here are a few makeup tips for you!

*Pressed Powder Foundation

Using a cotton wool ball, press down and swirl gently in the powder container and then press the cotton wool ball on areas on your face. This helps it to stay on longer!

*Liquid foundation

With all foundations, make sure you have the right colour for your skin tone.

If you want a thick, even coverage then apply the foundation to your face using a cosmetic sponge.

For an easier but thinner coverage, use your fingertips to blend into your face.

*Mousse foundation

Applying with your fingertips is the best way. Did you know that mousse foundation is actually powder?

*Liquid Concealer

Apply dots under your eyes in a crescent-moon shape and dab using the tip of your middle finger. Don't rub - this wipes the concealer off!

*Blusher

Smile! Apply a small amount onto a blusher brush and blend onto your apples in a circular motion.

Another way of applying it so that it doesn't look so dramatic is to dab on TINY amounts using your finger and rub in circular motions to blend.

*Eyeliner

Use a white eyeliner on your bottom waterline to make your eyes appear bigger.

Using any other colour eyeliner you like, apply just underneath your bottom lashes. Then roll a cotton bud (or q tip I think they're called in America, idk) gently into some petroleum jelly (vaseline) and use it to smudge and blend your eyeliner in. Same technique can be used for applying eyeliner on your eyelids.

*Mascara

ALWAYS use an eyelash curler BEFORE applying mascara. When applying, apply in a zigzag motion. This helps to coat all the lashes. Remember to use an eyelash brush inbetween coats to make your lashes appear more natural.

*Lips

The key is to exfoliate! Roll a cotton bud in some petroleum jelly (like with the eyeliner!), then roll it in some sugar and swirl gently on your lips for 30 seconds, then wash that off and apply petroleum jelly to your lips.

Hope you found these helpful! :)♥

Go for natural looks, brown eyeshadows, or light colors, get matte colors, (a.k.a not glittery) because then you won't feel like it looks unnatural, go with mineral powders rather then thick cover up creams because if you have natural skin, those creams can clog up a pretty face! You don't have to wear eyeliner, if you put a little mascara it will outline your eye enough.

Secondly, don't feel pressured into wearing makeup, but if you want an easy step by step how to, just go to a department store that has makeup counters, they will do it for you, and you can tell them that you want to look all natural, not too much.

honestly if you feel that you look good or that your okay to not wear it then don't, i do wear makeup but i like how i look with it and i don't go over dramatic with it, and if you want to wear makeup on special occasion then get a light gloss clear or something that tints that looks good with you and some mascara and i think that's fine if you want to go all out talk to a friend or someone who works with makeup for more help

Just smile