Why is it mostly women who "slut-bash"?

Most slut-bashing or slut-shaming that I've seen or personally experienced seems to come mostly from other women. Why is that? I've never met a man who has had any issue with my sexuality, my expressing it, or any kind of perceived promiscuity on my part. But throw a woman into the mix and suddenly a sexy woman becomes a slut. As soon as a woman labels another woman a slut, men seem to change sides very quickly. They get self righteous and in my opinion are doing it mostly to win points with the other women.

So if slut-bashing is so bad and so negative to women, why does it seem to be primarily an activity that women engage in?

Favorite Answer

Ok, this is an interesting question, not sure where to start ... but I'll give it a shot. And I'm just gonna be completely honest, not meant to offend anyone.

Anyway, as to why women "slut-bash", I have 2 thoughts. The first one is evolutionary-wise, or whatever you want to call it, women are constantly in competition with one another for men, the attention of men, etc. So maybe when they see another woman they perceive as a "threat" or "competition", they want to bring her down immediately ... insult her, bash her reputation, etc. There is probably an element of jealousy in there also, which always brings out the green-eyed monster.

My 2nd thought is purely my own opinion. In all honesty, it just annoys me when I see another woman blatantly acting/dressing 'slutty' or using her boobs only instead of her brain/personality. It really lowers my opinion of her. I understand, of course, that women are, to some degree, going to utilize 'their assets', but some just really go overboard. It just makes me honestly laugh at her, and since she's putting herself out there like a slut, then she shouldn't be surprised if women call her a slut. To me personally, it's just annoying, and I always wonder why they want to present themselves to the world in that manner. Have some self-respect.

Most of the time it's just women competing with each other.

They are trying to bring down the opposition.

Women will view being a slut in terms of how 'cheap' a woman is. In other words how much she can extract from a man before she 'puts out'. Men's concerns are self defensive: They are worried about being used / paternity fraud / humiliation, etc.

Women are very harsh with each other, most of makeup and embellishments are of no interest to man, they seem to be only for other women There seems to be an arms race out there. Also all the anorexic models are from women's fashion magazines made by women for women.

This does mean that women make a rod for their own back to a large extent.

Umm because women are constantly competing with each other , and not to mention always jealous of one another too. On the threshold, its quite hilarious watching two women verbally slashing each others throats....so keep the entertainment coming ladies lol

edit: men don't slut bash, only women do that. now feminist bashing...that we do

Slut-bashing is women's attempt to maintain an artificially high price for access to vagina. Like any market, when the supply goes up, the overall price goes down. I.e. when one competitor (female) is giving away the goods relatively cheaply, it makes other women lose customers. These "suffering" women, rather than respond by making access to their own vaginas more customer-friendly, attempt to create an oligopoly and influence the rogue market provider to artificially raise her price.

• Anon

The difference is that men do it behind the woman's back. They don't slut-bash in front of the woman. They wait till they sleep with her/get what they want from her, and then tell all their friends she's a whore.

Hate to get all evolutionary psychology on you, but here goes.

It's about trying to promote their own reproductive fitness and suitability as a mate at the expense of the "slut".

This is the very essence of female behavior, the exclusion and gossip that you all seem to love so much.

Don't know how effective it is really though in today's society. Men know that every last one of you are just as slutty as each other. You're right, we don't care.

I don't do it at all (I'm female). Never have. My brother does. I've just proven your assumption partly wrong. Why does it matter?

Women, being at a disadvantage economically in our world, have probably developed this as a survival tactic--tear down someone else to make self look good & gain advantages/goodies/$$ that they cannot simply come out and aggressively go for, lest *Men* call them bitches.

Being a woman is a *****, esp. when we slam other women.

@Brit, where do you work, in the fashion industry?

I've never, ever, been in the company of men who talk about women's clothes, make up, eyebrows or similar.

Most men are not like that.

• ?

You're right that it's girls who are the most judgmental about this. Society gives us such mixed signals about how we should behave as women. On one hand, we should be virginal and never sleep around so as not to be perceived as "loose" or slutty. However when girls are insistent on this, they get called prudes or teases. BUT if we dare to be open about our sexuality, then we're instantly labeled whores. I feel like there's no middle ground.

I think that females are the most condescending about all of this because we're the ones that suffer from the labels. If a girl is a virgin, and she sees another girl being open about sleeping around, then it makes her insecure. It makes her feel like there IS something wrong with her and that maybe she is a prude, so she counteracts that by using terms like whore or slut to make herself feel better. It's the same reason why girls who are sexually active look down on girls who aren't, and will say things like they're prudes or little children. They're also feeling like they're being judged. It's kind of a sad, unnecessary cycle.

its common sense. men would have no problems with women being sluty because they would want women to be sexual, assumming the man wants to. but women don't want to get sexual with other women, at least not the heterosexual ones.