Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 9 years ago

How far can sound travel down into the ground?

If I were to place an acoustic sensor underground, how far would I have to bury it to eliminate traffic noise so I could listen to the earth? Or can I just take what I get and filter out the above ground traffic (like cars)?

Best Answer

Very hard to say.

If your soil is loose, sandy, or very wet, you're sitting on a bowl of Jello, and it's going to wiggle every time a truck goes by.

If you're in Vermont, you might hit bedrock six feet down, and a whole platoon of elephants on pogo-sticks could go by and you would not notice it.

Generally you want to dig down to bedrock. Then mount a seismometer and see how quiet it is. Best to start out away from roads and civilization.

Best way to get results: Go somewhere where there will be no 'traffic' noise or other interference. Somewhere remote, where no one ever goes... The thing is that sound is energy moving in the form of waves. The more energy is in the noise (louder noises) the deeper they can penetrate. Also, take into account low and high frequency sounds. A low frequency sound wave will penetrate deeper into the rock than a high frequency sound wave. Another factor is how sensitive is your acoustic sensor? Really sensitive equipment, able to pick up even the faintest residual sound wave would have to be buried much deeper than a less sensitive piece of equipment. All this considered, you have to ask yourself how deep can you go? Unless you have the ability to dig deep, perhaps it would be better to go somewhere remote, where outside interference isn't an issue.

Best of Luck!

i don't know a lot about this subject but I can say that lower sounds are easier to hear than higher ptched ones